1996-08-20 - Re: Taxes on Internet access prediction

Header Data

From: Mike McNally <m5@vail.tivoli.com>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 8bd817058814ad6ca6037478ab6754e09a46407094df83657d2c396205f4cb63
Message ID: <3219FBBF.5D6A@vail.tivoli.com>
Reply To: <ae3f3913000210049dc3@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-20 22:32:15 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 06:32:15 +0800

Raw message

From: Mike McNally <m5@vail.tivoli.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 06:32:15 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Taxes on Internet access prediction

Timothy C. May wrote:

> Net access, if primarily used for work-related things, would not be.
> Just as company phone calls are not treated as a fringe benefit for
> the employees making the phone calls. Or business trips. And so on.

Sure, but clearly that's not exclusively the case.  (Amazingly enough
to some might be the fact that my for-work e-mail volume far exceeds
my not-for-work volume.)  Hopefully I haven't brought too much shame
to my employer.

In any case, with the IRS it's often less a matter of common sense
than what they happen to decide is The Law.  Witness the changes in
laws about what constitutes a "home office".  Currently, if you're
(let's say) a freelance plumber who maintains a legitimate office
in your home, where nothing at all but plumbing-related stuff is
kept and plumbing-related work is done (booking jobs over the phone),
but most of your actual workday is spent out under people's sinks
and most of your money is made out there in the field, then the
IRS will not allow you to treat that home office as an expense.

(At least, that's my recollection of an NPR story from a year or
two ago.)

Mike M Nally * Tiv^H^H^H IBM * Austin TX * For the time being,
       m5@tivoli.com * m101@io.com       *
      <URL:http://www.io.com/~m101>      * three heads and eight arms.

Thread