1996-08-22 - Re: PreRFD: comp.org.cypherpunks

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8d23241cade9e36b6c90c2ca5dd4669de333ca4ecfbbc9dbf387a30b7039538e
Message ID: <sD41sD3w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199608211645.JAA06426@netcom.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-22 01:05:31 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:05:31 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:05:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PreRFD: comp.org.cypherpunks

qut@netcom.com (Skip, OBC) writes:

> ! Jim McCoy wrote:
> ! > qut@netcom.com (Skip) writes:
> ! > > My suggestion number #1:
> ! > > No moderation.
> ! >
> ! > Suggestion 1 on how to diminish the feeble S/N ratio on cypherpunks:
> ! >
> ! >         make it a newsgroup
> ! > Suggestion 2:
> ! >         make it an unmoderated newsgroup
> !
> ! How about making it a robomoderated newsgroup with only one enforced
> ! rule, forbidding any crossposting?
>
> If moderation, then why not moderator(s) who simply send out cancel
> messages to everthing that is crossposted?  Traditional moderated
> newsgroups are technically inferior because all posts go through netnews
> chokepoints and then depends on the moderator(s) who's inevitable
> position has been the irresponsible one of keeping the position long
> after they lose interest with the high volumes.  Even if their was such
> a person, there is still are chokepoint problem which is stupid to
> engage in.
>
> In any case, creation of comp.org.cypherpunks in no way means gatewaying
> or shutting down cypherpunks@toad.com .

How about a NoCeM-moderated newsgroup?
I.e., several parties can issue 'hide' NoCeM notices for whatever
material they consider off-topic, including cross-posts. Several
other parties can issue 'highlight' NoCeM's for articles they
consider particularly worthy.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM