1996-08-13 - Snake Oil wanted

Header Data

From: Lewis Koch <lzkoch@mcs.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 92ccf62ac148f5df806c24fce4af0f1925afc834f5890e9c3d19b92d290d32b5
Message ID: <199608130016.TAA23180@Kitten.mcs.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 12:17:58 +0800

Raw message

From: Lewis Koch <lzkoch@mcs.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 12:17:58 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Snake Oil wanted

I am a journalist who has specialized in investigative reporting.  I have
been writing about and for the Net for about nine months, though I have
about three decades as a reporter/columnist/author.

There has been some discussion on this list of one story that I broke --
that of Deputy Attorney General Jamie S. Gorelick's speech "National
Security in the Information Age" delivered at the U.S. Air Force Academy 29
February 1996 in which she calls for the development of a "Manhattan
Project" to counter computer hackers.  The column and her complete speech
can be found at http://upside.master.com/online/columns/cybersense/9607.html
"U.S. Deputy Attorney General Jamie S. Gorelick Speaks Out Against Freedom
and Security on the Internet."

The story was published in a monthly column Cybersense which I write for
Upside Magazine's Website.

I am currently interested in writing about snake oil, especially as it
relates to claims about ensuring e-mail privacy, total computer security,
plug-and-play effortless encryption or hype relating to computer crime --
its origins, its prevalence, its prevention.

My Net audience is composed of people who perhaps pretend to more
sophistication that they truly have but who I think are most interested in
clarity.

My areas of expertise are non-technical.  Over three decades, however, I
have proven record of investigative reporting.

I have been fortunate to meet and rely on some very responsible people to
guide me through the technical thickets -- some of whom are members of this
List.

Any form of response is acceptable and all confidences will be respected.

Lewis Z. Koch
lzkoch@mcs.net
http://www.upside.com

Thread