1996-08-08 - Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

Header Data

From: Joel McNamara <joelm@eskimo.com>
To: tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 9891d85d439054601794bafcf92b14eca32a8a662b9e0b7dacc1518f7e82b7fa
Message ID: <199608081523.IAA15512@mail.eskimo.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 03:16:58 +0800

Raw message

From: Joel McNamara <joelm@eskimo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 03:16:58 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

Not all states (Washington and California, for example) will sell their DMV
lists.

There is a gentleman that goes by the handle of Bootleg, that does sell
CD-ROM versions of said listings (my guess where the Web site got the data
from).  Last heard, he had Oregon, Texas, and Florida.  Oregon was the
bargain around $220, Florida and Texas were about $500.

Try 503-325-0861 for voice (don't know if that's still current).  He may be
on the Net, but I don't have an address.

Joel

At 05:57 AM 8/8/96 -0700, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Looks like we're a little late. However, we can still grab the tape from
>Oregon's DMV for $220. It would be an interesting excercise to try to get
>these tapes from each state with similar provisions and put them all
>online.
>
>Anyone want to donate server space?
>
>-Declan
>

>http://www.spiritone.com/cgi-bin/plates
>
>   Service has been temporarily suspended.
>   Don't panic, I just want to think about the situation for a while.
>   Stay tuned. --Aaron
>
>---
>
>   There is a very real chance that it will be turned off. That's becuase
>   all of the people who hate it call the TV and Radio stations, the DMV,
>   and their elected representitives. All of the people who love it send
>   me email. As much as I appreciate hearing from all of you, sending me
>   email doesn't let anyone else know how you feel. If you want to keep
>   this service going, make your voices heard.
>

>On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:
>

>> Cypherpunks make the news again.
>>
>> I'm watching the LA NBC news channel, and they report that the Oregon "look
>> up any license plate" Web site is causing a flap. Though apparently legal,
>> the critics admit, the Governor wants the material removed.
>>
>> (Sounds like a good time to mirror it on some other sites, pronto!)
>>
>> --Tim May
>>
>> Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!
>> We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, we know that that ain't allowed.
>> Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
>> tcmay@got.net  408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
>> W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
>> Licensed Ontologist         | black markets, collapse of governments.
>> "National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."
>>

>// declan@eff.org // I do not represent the EFF // declan@well.com //

Thread