1996-08-02 - Re: Let’s Say “No!” to Single, World Versions of Software

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a3915e523d5dcb1ad372383dd3f094514f4848496bae196b2c58a56af7e8a473
Message ID: <199608021800.LAA10722@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 05:34:18 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 05:34:18 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Let's Say "No!" to Single, World Versions of Software

At 02:16 PM 7/31/96 -0700, Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com> wrote:

>The only thing they can revoke is their permission to provide it for
>download over the internet.  They can't revoke our permission to sell
>it in stores or via snail mail.

They _could_ refuse to give export permission for new RC4/40 versions,
and threaten prosecution if it's placed on the Internet.
It would be highly bogus, of course, but that's one of the "benefits"
of using selective enforcement and having the export strength limitations
be an individual-case-basis rather than a defined law they can be held to.

Tim wrote:
> Actually approving of disapproving a piece of software for sale
> to U.S. citizens is not currently possible.

Sure.  The Commerce Klaus of the Constitution lets them do it
if they want to, though that required Congressional cooperation.

	TRUST NO ONE!

Thread