1996-08-26 - DIGEST: 17 messages from the last day

Header Data

From: Hugh Daniel <hugh@ecotone.toad.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a572e5d7ab6211d756c757b7b43626d946310f555ebef4b31fdc87f4b80e93c7
Message ID: <199608260905.CAA22219@ecotone.toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 22:14:39 +0800

Raw message

From: Hugh Daniel <hugh@ecotone.toad.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 22:14:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: DIGEST: 17 messages from the last day

To: cypherpunks@toad.com
From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
Newsgroups: mcom.list.cypherpunks
Subject: Re: Weird "Suppression" messages
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 00:43:53 -0700

Alan Olsen wrote:

> At 10:36 PM 8/23/96 -0700, Z.B. wrote:

>>> This is bizzare.  I have gotten three messages with this message.
>>>
>>> Is someone at Netscape canceling messages?  (mcom.com is the old
>>> domain name
>>> of Netscape.)
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas on this?
>>
>> I don't have a clue what it is, but it's sure pissing me off.  I've
>> gotten about 15 or so of these messages in the past two hours.  If
>> it's an honest error, then someone better fix it real fast; if some
>> loser is jerking us around, ......
>
> Some list redirector of somesort has gone wonky at Netscape.  (Take a
> look at the headers if you do not believe me.  They are originating
> off of some internal lists at mcom.com, the original Netscape domain.)
>
> Cypherpunks is not the only list effected by this.  I am getting these
> weird messages on wwwsecurity as well.
>
> Since it is Friday, I expect that this will be with us until someone
> gets in the office on Monday.

We have a gateway here that gateways mailing lists into newsgroups and
sends posts back out to the mailing lists.  There was a problem with it
which caused these strange suppression messages.  I got the person
responsible to come in and fix it, so there should be no more messages
like that, I hope.

--
You should only break rules of style if you can    | Tom Weinstein
coherently explain what you gain by so doing.      | tomw@netscape.com

From: Adamsc@io-online.com (Adamsc)
To: "cypherpunks@toad.com" <cypherpunks@toad.com>,
        "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@amaranth.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 02:05:22 -0800
Subject: Re: Spamming (Good or Bad?)

On Sat, 24 Aug 96 03:47:47 -0500, William H. Geiger III wrote:

>No I have to dissagree. Who I send mail to or whom I receive mail from is >no-ones business. I for one have no intention of "signing up" or >"regestering" with any mail server. I most certainally want to be the one >to decide what mail I receive or do not receive, not someone elses idea of >what I should receive.

What I'd prefer is a configurable POP server for an ISP - something that you
could set to, say, only send a brief header and 1st couple lines of any message
that is either over a certain size, repeated, or passed the limit for messages
from a given host.  So you could set certain people to have their messages pass
directly through, something like cypherpunks might get more and all others
could be limited to something like 10/day.  Have all of this configured right,
as well has host-end filtering/rejecting and such tasks would be done with the
high bandwidth a host has, as opposed to your average dialup link.

>Sorry but I will not be made a sheep for the "protection" from spam. baah >baah

Baah humbug! (And I agree fully!)

/ If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
/ Home: Chris Adams <adamsc@io-online.com> | http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp
/ Autoresponder: send email w/subject of "send resume" or "send PGPKEY"
/ Work: cadams@acucobol.com | V.M. (619)515-4894 | (619)689-6579
/ Member in good standing of the GNU whirled hors d'oeuvre

From: Charley Sparks <sparks@bah.com>
To: "'cypherpunks@toad.com'" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Cc: "'cypherpunk@toad.com'" <cypherpunk@toad.com>
Subject: Need the majordomo commands for cypherpunk
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 06:21:13 -0000

Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 17:06:32 -0700
To: Vincent Cate <vince@offshore.com.ai>, cypherpunks@toad.com
From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Subject: Re: Cypherpunk voting - ITAR or CDA

At 01:37 AM 8/25/96 -0400, Vincent Cate wrote:
> So it seems Dole is the better vote.  Is this important enough to many
> cypherpunks to actually determine their vote?

Dole stands for nothing, and Clinton stands for everything.

Any resemblance between their election platforms and what they
will actually do when in office is purely coincidental.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 08:42:43 -0400 ()
From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: -- Message body depressed --

Life. Don't talk to me about Life.  The first 100 spams were the worst.
The second 100 spams were the worst as well. After that I went into a bit
of decline.

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 09:07:16 -0400
From: Jim Ray <liberty@gate.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com

To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Date: Sun Aug 25 09:06:51 1996
Vincent Cate wrote:

> Dole says he would fix the ITAR problem, but try to keep something like
> CDA.

He would say anything to get elected.

> Clinton is keeping ITAR and signed CDA.  But not having the religious
> right he might soften on CDA.

Lame ducks don't have to soften, on anything. That's what's fun about being
a lame duck.

> The courts seem to be throwing out CDA much faster than ITAR (some fast
> track to the supreme court built into the law).  It also seems like
>  ITAR
> is the more important thing to fix (it is easier to move pornography
>  etc
> out of the US than major software companies).
>
> So it seems Dole is the better vote.  Is this important enough to many
> cypherpunks to actually determine their vote?

If the Republican candidate had been Forbes, there might have been a "don't
let the great be the enemy of the good" argument against voting
Libertarian. As it stands now, Dole is, at best, arguably the "lesser of 2
evils," which still comes out evil in my book. As the designated partisan
Libertarian on the list, I urge all cypherpunks to vote their consciences
and pick Harry Browne and Jo Jorgensen. The mere fact that the media is
[grudgingly] covering us suggests we are finally doing something right, and
Harry is winning many Internet polls despite much fawning, hopeful coverage
for the big-eared billionaire hypocrite stealth-candidate, who has no
position but certainly would enjoy having the TLAs investigate his enemies.

I fully accept that it is likely Dole or Clinton will win, but I think it
will fill an important cypherpunk goal if the Libertarian Party candidates
get a vote large enough to be the margin of victory, and I will be very
proud of my vote, no matter who wins this election. Vote your consciences
for your own sake, and the sake of the children who will inherit the debt
of the irresponsible statists in power now.
JMR

Regards, Jim Ray -- DNRC Minister of Encryption Advocacy

"'Filegate' is starting to make _Ed_ _Meese_ look ethical."
 -- me
 Defeat the Duopoly! Vote "NOTA," not Slick/Dull in November.
 Harry Browne for President. Jo Jorgensen for Vice-president.
 http://www.HarryBrowne96.org/
PGP id.E9BD6D35 51 5D A2 C3 92 2C 56 BE  53 2D 9C A1 B3 50 C9 C8
<mailto:liberty@gate.net> http://www.shopmiami.com/prs/jimray C
Ross Perot is now on welfare.<sigh>

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 08:17:22 -0700
From: qut@netcom.com (Skipp OBC)
To: Thetapunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Newsgroups: alt.politics.white-power,alt.politics.nationalism.white,can.politics,alt.discrimination,alt.revisionism
Subject: Re: Where have all the racists gone? Griswold, LA Times story

In <rcgraves-2408962338530001@nntp.stanford.edu> rcgraves@ix.netcom.com (Skippy) writes:

!
! In article <4vo52r$or2@freenet-news.carleton.ca>,
! ai433@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (John Baglow) wrote:
!
! > So, where *is* Les Griswold? Readers are invited to speculate.
!
! I don't need to.
!
! Racists come, racists go. Milton Kleim, George Graves, Ron Schoedel, and
! Les Griswold are all out of the business. The Nazi troller who dedicates
! himself to "The Movement" for life is rare. Human beings have large,
! well-developed brains. This enables us to use tools, read, write, speak,
! and see through the appeal of Nazism. Only the real psychopaths (Metzger),
! charlatans in it for the money (Zundel), and criminals (Burdi, Droege,
! Mathews) stick with "The Movement" once they understand what it's really
! about.
!
! [Yes, I'm aware that things are a bit more serious and complex in real
! life, but I do think it's fine to gloat now, when the "Net.Nazis" are so
! few and disorganized that their #1 troller, qut@netcom.com, is believed to
! be an anti-racist parodying them.]

The movement must learn to deal with these situations.

! Another bit of good news, and perhaps an inspiration for those few racists
! still reading alt.politics.white-power:
!
! "Ex-Skinhead breaks from a racist past"
! San Jose Mercury News, August 19, 1986, page 3B.
! Reprint of a story from the Los Angeles Times.
!
! LOS ANGELES -- Even among his fellow skinheads, Tom Leyden stood out as an
! angry warrior.
!
! Leyden recalls prowling the streets at night, pummeling "blacks, Hispanics
! and longhairs" with his steel-toed boots. In the Marines, he kept a copy
! of Adolf Hitler's "Mein Kampf" next to his bunk. At home, he hung a Nazi
! flag over the baby's crib.
!
! Leyden, 30, might seem like a dubious candidate to lead a crusade against
! white supremacists. But this tattooed high school dropout has broken with
! his racist past and joined ranks with an unlikely ally -- the Simon
! Wiesenthal Center.
!
! It is a rare and unexpected alliance.
!
! Leyden is the first skinhead to voluntarily lend his expertise to the
! Wiesenthal Center since it opened in Los Angeles 19 years ago. Skeptical
! leaders of the center -- a watchdog organization that fights anti-Semitism
! and other forms of prejudice -- greeted his arrival last month with
! suspicion. They wondered whether he was a spy.
!
! But Leyden offered inside information about neo-Nazi methods: how they
! recruit young members by inciting racial violence on school campuses and
! by distributing music that preaches the death of Jews, blacks and other
! groups.
!
! He also discounted his disillusionment with a movement that labeled his
! own mother inferior because she was handicapped. He spoke out about the
! angst of watching his sons -- ages 4 and 2 -- grow up as hatemongers
! saluting the Nazi and Confederate flags.
!
! And he recounted his decision to leave his wife of six years for a chance
! to redeem himself.
!
! "I got the impression that this was a person who has had a profound change
! of heart and who is willing to tell the world, 'I was wrong,'"" recalled
! Rabbi Marvin Hier, the Wiesenthal Center's founder. "He is saying,
! 'Everything I've stood for in the last decade was for nothing.' That's
! admitting to a life's mistake."
!
! Now the Wiesenthal Center and Leyden are putting his firsthand knowledge
! of neo-Nazi activities to work -- a plan that has earned Leyden a
! "traitor" label among former skinhead associates.
!
! The center has arranged for Leyden to address a national hate conference
! in Miami in October. Leyden is also scheduled to speak about hate groups
! in the military during an upcoming visit to Fort Bragg, the North Carolina
! Army base where swastikas were found last month painted on the doors of
! rooms occupied by white soldiers.
!
! Leyden's family now fears for its safety. He said late-night callers
! frequently hang up or leave obscene messages.
!
! But Leyden refuses to let the threats scare him.
!
! "I think Tom has already removed the tattoos inside," said Rabbi Abraham
! Cooper, associate dean at the Wiesenthal Center. "He's made some really
! severe errors. But he has my respect, which is the last thing I thought
! I'd be saying about someone who spent years in the skinhead movement."
!
!                                - 30 -
!
! -rich
!  http://www.anonymizer.com:8080/http://www.c2.org/~rich/

Easy come, easy go.

--
I marvel at the resilience of the white people.
Their best characteristic is their desire to learn.

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 10:40:31 -0400
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
From: Steve Shelby <sshelby@wichita.fn.net>
Subject: Posting HTML.

When posting an article that was originally HTML, perhaps you could save it
as a text instead?

Makes it a little easier to read.

Thanks

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 01:05:21 +0000
Subject: subscribe cypherpunks

SUBSCRIBE cypherpunks paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
     Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 13:14:47 -0600
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
From: David Rosoff <drosoff@ARC.unm.EDU>
Subject: You have your papers, please? [off-topic]

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 15:11:59 -0500
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
From: Censored Girls Anonymous <carolann@censored.org>
Subject: Re: Ruritania

I thank all of you for your fine detective work.

I found this on the tsmenace list without an attribute.
It was a strange place for it, as it was cypherpunk in content.
But as it applies anywhere, (and the using PGP on a political
activist list project continues), at least they are making some
progress in their thinking. The article drew no flames whatsoever.

I will Mr. Perry, happily inform the tsmenace list (tsmenace@zoom.com)
who the originator of the article is.

Love Always,

Carol Anne

At 01:32 PM 8/24/96 -0400, you wrote:

>>                       The Legend of Ruritania
> technology had been developed,  and in this new age of wood, everyone in

>When people repost my writing, I prefer that they leave some
>indication on that I wrote it.
>
>Perry

Member Internet Society  - Certified BETSI Programmer  -  Webmistress
Carol Anne Braddock (cab8)  carolann@censored.org   206.42.112.96
My Homepage
The Cyberdoc
------------------ PGP.ZIP Part [017/713] -------------------
M8H,),S$8G>&.WP(8IRA`-M['+`Q%&_C"">5-F%LX@<_Q$;*P'',Q$Z/AA[8M
MF=O0H+*%(-S%&>S%+FS&<LS%3(Q&#W1"<]2%`H^;,]^1C$'HBN8PX$4SYAU^
MPGD<Q0ZLA0D+,`MCT!LA**4M[-JPAK9F?40!AJ,CW"'%DR#:'9?Q)3[%<DQ`
for next chunk to export --> http://dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/export/

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 16:49:12 -0500
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
From: Nick West <nick@multipro.com>
Subject: URL for Browne and crypto

"Stop the Browne Out!" now has a page that compares Harry Browne to Clinton
& Dole on the subject of digital privacy. The URL is
http://home.connectnet.com/qqq/crypto/ . They have various links and a logo
you can add to your web site to link to the page.

Nick West
nick@multipro.com
Member of the National Wild Turkey Federation and
The Libertarian Party of Tennessee

http://members.tripod.com/~NWest/index.html

PGP Fingerprint= F9 F7 92 D9 D3 0B 56 3E  FA 2A 78 59 27 32 7D 6F

Public key available on request.

From: "Greg Kucharo" <sophi@best.com>
To: "Vincent Cate" <vince@offshore.com.ai>, <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 16:07:53 -0700

  Does it matter?  Shound't the fight here be in the courts and Congress as
opposed to the President?  The problem here is a constant one.  If you vote
Republican, it opens the door for less stringent economic laws but greater
restriction on social freedoms.  The Democrats are tradtionaly the
opposite.
  It's like the Janus. They speak of countermanding viewpoints, but in the
end the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  There will undoubtely be
watered down versions of both laws in effect.  My guess is that a new ITAR
style would run along the lines of current arms trafficking regulations.
That means no trading yer crypto with the so-called rogue states.
Impossible, but we are talking about the U.S. Government here.  I have no
idea how they could enforce anything like the CDA.  Possibly they would
promote the use of restictive services in browsers.  Who knows.

----------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 6:20:45 -24000
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com>
From: <MAILER-DAEMON@mqg-smtp3.usmc.mil>
Subject: Undeliverable Message

To:            <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject:       Re: "----- Message body suppressed -----"

Message not delivered to recipients below.  Press F1 for help with VNM
error codes.

	VNM3043:  BANYAN SERVER@MAG26@2DMAW NEW RIVER

VNM3043 -- MAILBOX IS FULL

   The message cannot be delivered because the
   recipient's mailbox contains the maximum number of
   messages, as set by the system administrator.  The
   recipient must delete some messages before any
   other messages can be delivered.
    The maximum message limit for a user's mailbox is
   10,000.  The default message limit is 1000 messages.
   Administrators can set message limits using the
   Mailbox  Settings function available in the
   Manage User menu  (MUSER).

   When a user's mailbox reaches the limit, the
   user must delete some of the messages before
   the mailbox can accept any more incoming messages.

UNDEFINED! At 1:10 AM 8/21/96, llurch@stanford.edu (Rich Graves) wrote:
! >   ----- Message body suppressed -----
! >
!
!
! Sounds good to me. Keep it up.
!
!
! --Tim May
!
!
! --
! [This Bible excerpt awaiting review under the U.S. Communications Decency
! Act of 1996]
! And then Lot said, "I have some mighty fine young virgin daughters. Why
! don't you boys just come on in and fuck them right here in my house - I'll
! just watch!"....Later, up in the mountains, the younger daughter said:
! "Dad's getting old. I say we should fuck him before he's too old to fuck."
! So the two daughters got him drunk and screwed him all that night. Sure
! enough, Dad got them pregnant, and had an incestuous bastard son....Onan
! really hated the idea of doing his brother's wife and getting her pregnant
! while his brother got all the credit, so he pulled out before he
! came....Remember, it's not a good idea to have sex with your sister, your
! brother, your parents, your pet dog, or the farm animals, unless of course
! God tells you to. [excerpts from the Old Testament, Modern Vernacular
! Translation, TCM, 1996]

Your sigs are better looking than his body.

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 17:34:02 -0700
Subject: The wisdom of the US Government
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
Comments: Please report misuse of this automated remailing service to <remailer-admin@cajones.com>

Hacking the US Treasury web page wasn't very smart, there are much
better places to hack:

	http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/plain/forms_pubs/expert.html

Unencrypted, unauthenticated, self-extracting archive executables from
America's most beloved Governmental `service'?

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 21:02:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Voters Telecommunications Watch <shabbir@vtw.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject:  INFO: Democratic convention chats online!  Be there! (8/25/96)

	       DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION ONLINE CHAT SCHEDULE!
	            LIVE CHATS FROM THE CONVENTION!
		(DO NOT DISTRIBUTE AFTER SEPTEMBER 1, 1996)

Table of contents
	What's New
	Chat Schedule
	Getting Chat Software

WHAT'S NEW

The Democratic convention's online chat program has begun!  It's crucial
that Netizens make net concerns a high profile issue in the online chats
this year.  You can do this by showing up and simply asking the right
questions.  Does the candidate think the Communications Decency Act is
an effective method of shielding kids from material online, or parental
control?  Does the candidate support the use of privacy-enhancing
encryption technology?  Does the candidate support program such as
THOMAS, that put government info in the hands of the people?

If you don't ask these questions, they'll never know we care.

CHAT SCHEDULE

[Notably missing from this schedule are Senators Patrick J. Leahy (D-VT)
 and Russell Feingold (D-WI) and House member Jerrold Nadler (D-NY).  All
 three have impeccable cyberspace credentials and we look forward to seeing
 them online.]

All chats take place at http://ichat.dncc96.org:4080/

Monday
	08/26/96 - 4:20pm CDT Governor Lawton Chiles
	08/26/96 - 7:15pm CDT House Candidate Michela Alioto
	08/26/96 - 10:30pm CDT Congressman Bill Richardson
Tuesday
	08/27/96 - 9:00am CDT Senate Candidate Houston Gordon
	08/27/96 - 5:00pm CDT Congresswoman Nita Lowey
Wednesday
	08/28/96 - 9:00am CDT - Senate Candidate Houston Gordon
	08/28/96 - 10:00am CDT - Governor Gaston Caperton
	08/28/96 - 3:00pm CDT - Senator John D Rockefeller IV
	08/28/96 - 4:00pm CDT - Senator John Kerry
	08/28/96 - 4:30pm CDT - Senator Harry Reid
	08/28/96 - 9:30pm CDT - Representative Corrine Brown
Thursday
	08/29/96 - 10:30am CDT - Senate Candidate Houston Gordon
	08/29/96 - 2:30pm CDT - Senator Kent Conrad
	08/29/96 - 3:30pm CDT - Representative Eliot Engel
	08/29/96 - 6:00pm CDT - Representative Barney Frank
	08/29/96 - 7:00pm CDT - Senators Boxer & Murray

Don't miss this opportunity to question the newsmakers on net issues
such as free speech and privacy!  We have to ensure that they feel
appreciated for standing up for Net issues.

GETTING CHAT SOFTWARE

The Democratic Convention has chosen iChat's chat software for their
interface.  To obtain a copy, simply follow the links from the main
convention homepage at http://www.dncc96.org/ to the software section.

				###

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 18:19:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lou Zirko <lzirko@c2.net>