1996-08-02 - Re: [off-topic] roving wiretaps

Header Data

From: “Brian T Hancher” <briant@atlantic.net>
To: daw@cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner)
Message Hash: aed949edf4975ae4241b1e86842718f1f01902d18fcc67bfcc4a85417db42228
Message ID: <199608021149.LAA24441@rio.atlantic.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 05:40:15 +0800

Raw message

From: "Brian T Hancher" <briant@atlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 05:40:15 +0800
To: daw@cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner)
Subject: Re: [off-topic] roving wiretaps

>P.S.  Do police really need a search warrant to wiretap cellular phones?

It is my understanding that police need a warrant to tap *cellular*
phones, but not *wireless* phones.

One should understand that monitoring cellular traffic is *much* more
difficult than tapping a conventional phone, because as the user
moves around in the service area the phone switches to different
repeaters, often several times during a conversation.

I am curious as to the language of the proposed law, as it is also my
understanding that the government already has the (technical) means to monitor
cellular traffic (but it requires a warrant, just like tapping a
regular phone).

              Brian T. Hancher

       http://rio.atlantic.net/~briant

              briant@ocala.com