1996-08-06 - Re: **Tacoma, Washington Starts Taxing Internet Access 07/30/96

Header Data

From: blane@aa.net (Brian C. Lane)
To: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Message Hash: b076663e4b8e65fb232d3ba26a3b51d0cc777d8d6d368829ff47f9fe98caaa43
Message ID: <3206e54a.46270083@mail.aa.net>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960805181729.00e8c4a0@mail.teleport.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-06 08:54:45 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 16:54:45 +0800

Raw message

From: blane@aa.net (Brian C. Lane)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 16:54:45 +0800
To: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: ****Tacoma, Washington Starts Taxing Internet Access 07/30/96

On Mon, 05 Aug 1996 11:17:29 -0700, you wrote:

>I believe the reason the Tacoma ordinance is getting so much flack is that
>they are wanting to charge sales tax on all transactions that take place
>from ISPs in Tacoma.

>This type of taxation is not new.  Various jurisdictions have tried to use
>the same thing on mail order houses.  Having worked for a service bureau
>that dealt with mail order, I know what a hassle it is to try to keep track
>of such taxation.  There is a company that will sell you the data of all of
>the sales tax rates throughout the country.  This includes every little
>podunk city, county, and fire district tax.  They are divided by zip code,
>but that is no guarantees that you have the right place. The reality is that
>trying to "be legal" under such regulations is next to impossible, even with
>the proper data.  I know of few mail order firms that are willing to go to
>that extreme.  (Unless, of course, they have gotten the proper threats from
>some miffed tax baron.)
>
>And they wonder why there is so much disrespect for the law...
>---
>Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
>        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
>                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
>  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
>                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."

------- <blane@aa.net> -------------------- <http://www.aa.net/~blane> -------
     Embedded Systems Programmer, quick hacks on request, CryptoAnarchist
==============  11 99 3D DB 63 4D 0B 22  15 DC 5A 12 71 DE EE 36  ============

Thread