1996-08-15 - Re: Crypto Policy Variant

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b352b74b1d9e608949407a47a67a15f88e280e29ffddef49cde974b9de238d57
Message ID: <ae37c84d040210044735@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 11:54:24 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 11:54:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Crypto Policy Variant

At 11:17 PM 8/14/96, Frank Stuart wrote:

>Here's my key, your honor.  I used a one-time pad to do the encryption.  As
>you can plainly see, the encrypted file that the prosecution made such a big
>deal about contains nothing but some of my favorite verses from the King James
>Bible.  You shouldn't infer anything from the fact that another key would
>make the file contain the evil stuff that was alleged (even though it is a bit
>strange that the last verse ends in the middle of a word).

Frank presents a cogent example of how the Staelin plan is a nonstarter.
That is, it's a nonstarter *if* we remove any formal evidence of which
crypto method is attached to a program.

Cycles are cheap (compared to prison terms or a bullet in the head).
Therefore, it's cheaper to let folks either make their own guesses at the
crypto involved, or try several, than it is to unambigiously narrow down
the searches to one particular algorithm, which the State can then insist
on a decryption key for.

Let the Staelin Plan be warning for us to prepare for an era in which the
particular crypto method should not be revealed.

(Cryptographically, any of the various algorithms are "polynomially
equivalent," but, practically, the "King James Defense" used by Frank,
brilliantly, will probably work. It's hard to argue with Scripture.)

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!