1996-08-11 - Where is the fraud? (re: Anguilla)

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b4a03b871607cfd0928077338974d65de60e2eb4ee3ededf431723d870e91e19
Message ID: <ae32d230050210045227@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 17:18:26 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 17:18:26 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Where is the fraud? (re: Anguilla)

One more thing....

At 12:53 AM 8/11/96, Vincent Cate wrote:

>This is a fraud by taxbomber.  He is totally involved with selling fake
>passports.  He calls them "camouflage passports" and they have names like
>"British Honduras" of countries that no longer exist, or never did.  He
>does not think they are "fake", but the rest of the world does.  He also
>suggested opening up bank accounts with these fake passports (encouraging
>fraud).

On this last point, how is this "encouraging fraud"?

If I deposit money in a bank and choose to identify myself as "Mickey
Mouse, Citizen of the Magic Kingdom," perhaps even presenting a Disneyland
Passport, who is being defrauded?

Is the bank being defrauded? Not if Mickey is depositing money. What if the
bank is _lending_ money to Mickey? Then of course they might find that the
"Magic Kingdom" is not a real country, and that Mickey's "passport" was not
issued by one of the 192 godfearing countries in the United Nations. So
what? Then they deny the loan.

Where is the fraud? Is Anguilla in the business of determining what a True
Name is? (What is it, by the way?) I should remind readers that it is legal
to sell such passports in the U.S....somewhere I have one that says "This
document not good for travel in the People's Republics of Berkeley, Santa
Monica, and Madison," or somesuch.

Again, which specific law in Anguilla specifies which pieces of paper may
be bought and sold? Does the law say an actual crime or case of fraud has
to occur, or is only the potentiality of a crime or fraud involved? Does
the crime or fraud have to occur in Anguilla?

Inquiring minds want to know.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!