1996-08-07 - Re: Internal Passports

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: baa5f43b6568f9de8f70b700752842a1e423565e8e853e69c6ca3a216e964106
Message ID: <D3o0RD47w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960806100644.00911380@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-07 07:01:47 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 15:01:47 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 15:01:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Internal Passports

Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com> writes:
> Naughty naughty Tim.  You're violating the Immigration Control and
> Nationality Act of 1986.  You are supposed to check all employee's IDs even
> your own childrens' and fill out that I-9 form.  You have to verify identity
> and right to work using a menu of documents ranging from passports and SS
> cards to Driver's licenses and "American Indian Tribal Documents" (I gotta
> get me some of them).  And there are special provisions to punish
> discrimination against those who appear foreign. ...

In New York State, there are periodic complaints from Sovok "refugees" like
Igor Chewed-Off, who come in with a I-94 visa (and authorization to work), and
get the green card after two years. They get welfare, but apply for jobs...
Some poor employer slob refuses to hire the Sovok, thinking mistakenly that he
can only hire amcits or green card holders (even though I-94 with authorization
is listed on I-9). The employer pays a hefty fine for "illegal discrimination",
of which the Sovok gets a cut. Nice racket. Did you ever try it, Igor?

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM