1996-08-09 - Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: babc369ef65dd0c3a546019c3f34c0a9d9bd66ebd18501cc0082d5bc4a29d139
Message ID: <199608091839.LAA25540@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 06:08:50 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 06:08:50 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

At 12:26 AM 8/9/96 -0700, daw@cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner) wrote:
>I say, what we need is a little more abuse.  I say, a well-publicized
>incident of abuse of the driver's license database can do more to
>help the cause of privacy than any amount of intellectually compelling
>debate.  Perhaps one horrible incident of abuse would ignite enough
>public backlash to stop states from selling their databases at the
>drop of a hat.

Judge Bork doesn't happen to live in Oregon, does he?
Publishing his video rental records got Congress to pass a law
against private businesses selling that kind of data;
perhaps we can embarass the state of Oregon into not selling
data that the state forces you to provide.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# <A HREF="http://idiom.com/~wcs"> 	Defuse Authority!

Thread