1996-08-22 - [NOISE] Mysterious Numbers in Hacked DOJ Pages

Header Data

From: “Mark O. Aldrich” <maldrich@grci.com>
Message Hash: be919988ca83c5796a591cb34ff85ab16ecd8f77bd400266c6566bab09948393
Message ID: <Pine.SCO.3.93.960822144544.19218D-100000@grctechs.va.grci.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 07:05:56 +0800

Raw message

From: "Mark O. Aldrich" <maldrich@grci.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 07:05:56 +0800
Subject: [NOISE] Mysterious Numbers in Hacked DOJ Pages

This should be good for a conspiracy thread or two:

I've noticed that nobody seems to be taking credit for the DOJ hack.  In
studying the hacked page (I thought maybe they'd leave a clue as to who
they were), I noticed that on the top right corner of the page, there are
two sets of numbers.  The first says "1020" and the second says "757."
The are stored in the same .JPG file, 1020757.jpg.  In poking around the
HTML source, the following appears in the source code, but not on the
actual page when it's in a browser (HTML source comments):

<! Why did you betray us? Why are you taking our rights? What ever
happened >
<! to the law of the land? 757 1020 >

Note that this time, the numbers are in the reverse order.  (Also note
that 202.757.1020 does not appear to be the DOJ phone number - I tried).

For all I know, these numbers are relevant to the CDA or some other
legal/legislative source.  Or maybe I'm missing something really
obvious.

Anyone have any insight into what the numbers actually mean?  Could there
be some crypto (key?) relevance here that we're missing?

|Just as the strength of the Internet is  |Mark Aldrich                 |
|chaos, so the strength of our liberty    |GRCI INFOSEC Engineering     |
|depends upon the chaos and cacophony of  |maldrich@grci.com            |
|the unfettered speech the First Amendment|MAldrich@dockmaster.ncsc.mil |
|protects - District Judge Stewart Dalzell|                             |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger maldrich@grci.com |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |