1996-08-01 - Re: Photo IDs (Re: A Libertine Question)

Header Data

From: “Chris Adams” <adamsc@io-online.com>
To: “cypherpunks” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: c91ad8c9523551a63a1274124d5e34ec53987452a2a644e9e703225b1ea9940c
Message ID: <199608010427.VAA13537@cygnus.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 14:54:21 +0800

Raw message

From: "Chris Adams" <adamsc@io-online.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 14:54:21 +0800
To: "cypherpunks" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Photo IDs (Re: A Libertine Question)

On 31 Jul 96 14:27:54 -0800, tcmay@got.net wrote:

>>was allegedly requiring *two* pieces of ID for flights.  If they are talking
>>about two pieces of photo -- government-issued ID, I wonder where the 80% of
>
>Yeah, this "two photo IDs" is strange, given that:

>a. many ordinary people have only one form of photo I.D., namely, their
>driver's license (and many don't even have that)

>b. terrorists and other such persons are _very_ likely to have multiple
>forms of I.D., though of course not in their "true name."
>
>Hence, the policy looks ineffectual and just a sop to public relations.

And who really thought a response just days later would be anything else?

>And just what is a "true name" for the purposes of this law, anyway? Birth
>name? And what is that? What about people who marry, change names, etc.?
>Given that there is no "standard" for photo I.D.s, will my Official
>Cypherpunks Card count?

Now *that* might be another way of generating Cypherpunks revenue! (1
card per FPGA paid for the DES cracker... Or maybe every $15 toward the
CPLDF or PRZ)

# Chris Adams <adamsc@io-online.com> - Webpages for sale! Se habla JavaScript!
# Automatically receive my resume or PGPKEY by sending email with a subject
# of 'send PGPKEY' or 'send resume'. Capitalization counts so be careful!
# Web site: http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htm

Thread