1996-08-14 - re: National Socio-Economic Security Need for Encryption Technology

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: Arun Mehta <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: cae26958167261364b2c413528d5482221c9141855e81a3a7e38b1a23ac29336
Message ID: <199608141547.IAA25312@dns1.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:11:16 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:11:16 +0800
To: Arun Mehta <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: re: National Socio-Economic Security Need for Encryption   Technology

At 07:00 PM 8/14/96 +0600, Arun Mehta wrote:
> Whoa! In economies that are highly de-coupled, incomes and prices
> can easily find quite different equilibria.

So?  What does this have to do with the price of fish?

Are Informix campuses "highly decoupled economies".

The fact is a company like Informix has a campus in India, and
it has campuses in the US that are largely staffed by Indian teams,
and it will pay big bucks to get its people out of India, even
though it has to pay them more than ten times as much in the US.

An Indian programmer doing the same job for the same company is
more than ten times as valuable to that company if he is not
subject to the power of the Indian government, as proven by that
companies actions.

Plainly Informix does not like the power of the Indian government,
which is no surprise as a few years ago just about every company on
earth utterly detested the power of the Indian government and would
not touch the place with a ten foot pole.

> India has its faults,
> but it still is a relatively democratic and free country.

Under democracy, people get the government they deserve and
get it good and hard.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com