1996-08-13 - Rumors of death of Anguilla Data are greatly exaggerated

Header Data

From: “Greg Kucharo” <sophi@best.com>
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: cca76973b67b17d5bb25b3512e2aac5bf3cce72e0036ddbae7bb7c485176d105
Message ID: <199608130417.VAA01967@dns2.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:05:02 +0800

Raw message

From: "Greg Kucharo" <sophi@best.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:05:02 +0800
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Rumors of death of Anguilla Data are greatly exaggerated

 In the Swiss system, who dictates to the banks thier policies about who
and what they can store?  Do the banks have enough influence to sway
lawmakers?  It seems to me that the issue is not illegality, but rather if
the depositor is a viable political entity with "something on the other
guy".  When the Nazis or Columbian drug dealers are still in power, the
Swiss look the other way.  As soon as these types fall to other forces, the
Swiss hand over the goods to the victors.  I think if you were to
sucessfully store information that a large power finds personally
objectionable, the best solution is to play  both sides.  Scenario; The
U.S. leans on the Anguilla authorities to close down Vince.  Vince goes to
the British consulate and negotiates for the depositing of some nasty
information about the Queen or something.  The British lean on the
Americans to lay off.
  A little far feteched but you get the idea.  And it would work in the
majority of situations.  I bet money stashed by Hitler and Goebbels got
confiscated after World War II.  But Gerhard Whelen got his loot when he
linked up with the CIA.

Greg Kucharo
sophi@best.com
"People want chaos for about 5 minutes.  Then
they want some money and a backrub."
                                -Bruce Sterling

Thread