1996-08-25 - Re: Lesson 2 in cracking (cryptoanalysis 001)

Header Data

From: Adamsc@io-online.com (Adamsc)
To: “Scottauge@aol.com>
Message Hash: ce791febaa09d1ddd7b49c190c8d4a2801eb3e9c830ce46ccbff12449c4e459e
Message ID: <19960824053648140.AAA171@IO-ONLINE.COM>
Raw Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 09:38:20 +0800

Raw message

From: Adamsc@io-online.com (Adamsc)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 09:38:20 +0800
To: "Scottauge@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Lesson 2 in cracking (cryptoanalysis 001)

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996 08:25:42 -0400, Scottauge@aol.com wrote:

>>The point is that if you took two novels by the same author and
>>completely sorted them alphabetically they'd be almost the same.
>
>The examples cited did this by word, not by message as your stating.
>
>>So a block of PGP encrypted ascii-armored (i.e. 8=>7-bit encoding)
>>wouldn't affect the frequency counts?  Tell me, how long have you been on
>>your current medications?

>I was talking about the algorithm as given, not PGP.

I was just trying to point out that almost any email over a given size is going
to not only have nearly-infinite decode possibilities but also have somewhat
altered letter-frequency tables owing to all the software-added garbage.

>> That's the point!! IT'S A JOKE!!! You know, "hahaha - very funny"? Not a
>>  serious proposal?

>I know! But at least it is relevent to the group!  How many points of attack
>have you seen on here?  How many techniques have shown up here?

So far, 1.  And true, it is probably the most "on-topic" we've been in weeks...
<g>

>My apologies to the fella I called a troll.  It was uncalled for - lacking in
>social skills.

(That would have been me) No offence taken!

/ If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
/ The government's reaction is to legislate, not educate. - Paul S. Penrod
/ Home: Chris Adams <adamsc@io-online.com> | http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp
/ Autoresponder: send email w/subject of "send resume" or "send PGPKEY"
/ Work: cadams@acucobol.com | V.M. (619)515-4894 | (619)689-6579
/ Member in good standing of the GNU whirled hors d'oeuvre

Thread