1996-08-03 - Re: strength of 128-bit encryption?

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cec6cad63ae5cf8481035ffff3ea5eb42f2be6bcd63043ffcd22d12b7240441a
Message ID: <199608031017.DAA23426@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 20:02:53 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 20:02:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: strength of 128-bit encryption?

At 11:38 AM 8/2/96 -0400, KDBriggs1@aol.com wrote:
><< Current export standards allow export of 512-bit RSA for encrypting
> (including key exchange), 1024 bit for signing. >>
>1024-bit for signing?  Do you have a reference for this?  I was under the
>impression that digital signatures were not covered by export restrictions.

I've heard this also, but remember that the export standards are
"whatever specific products we decide you can export" rather than a
formal law you can design to and be sure they'll obey.

The ITAR doesn't cover pure authentication software, only software
capable of preserving privacy through encryption.  Some public-key
signature algorithms only do signature, some only do privacy,
RSA does both.  Thus, especially for software like Netscape which
_does_ have encryption capabilities, they can get away with limiting
the strength of the RSA signature portion because it's part of the
encryption package, and because RSA signing is just encrypting with
your private key instead of your public key.  Someone _could_ use
an RSA signature program to encrypt short data (like keys)
if they wanted to work at it, and while bugs in software are of course
entirely unheard of that would make this easier, there's still the
risk that those Crafty Furriners might disassemble the crypto code
from Netscape and reassemble it with the limits removed.
#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# <A HREF="http://idiom.com/~wcs"> 	Defuse Authority!

Thread