1996-08-01 - RE: Dry Under the Waterfall

Header Data

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
To: “‘cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: d3343829be699aa3c8087b49bf23ec69bc18c0cd52ffadb60063cb8a0211a2f1
Message ID: <c=US%a=%p=msft%l=RED-81-MSG-960801001638Z-27219@inet-01-imc.itg.microsoft.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-08-01 03:30:17 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:30:17 +0800

Raw message

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:30:17 +0800
To: "'cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: Dry Under the Waterfall

>From: 	tcmay@got.net
>
>I hear that "The Grasshopper and the Ant" is no longer considered proper
>reading material for children, that they need to have their self-esteem
>raised, that "I Have Two Mommies" is a more important book for them to
>read.

What a difference it would make if along with the mandatory school
attendance everyone received a mandatory education in basic economics,
starting in Jr. High.

Legislators and socially conscious individuals bemoan the lack of jobs,
the downsizing of companies, the low salary wages, the imperative need
for re-training, etc. as social problems to deal with by government  --
yet the very thing which everyone could use the most of, that
information which could prepare the minds of "America's future" for
dealing with the way things work in a capitalist system and make it
easier to transition into a world of uncertainty - while the
administrations have the fortituous opportunity to provide it, is not
delivered.

Not that I expect that classes in economics delivered through the public
schools would be all that accurate or therefore of much value, but the
point being that those people who publicly complain to the general
population about how the poor should receive subsidized support do not
consider the disfavor of having the school system take up 12 years of
everyone's time memorizing non-pertinent data, when they could have been
using that time to good purpose  -- *prior to* becoming independent
adults needing an understanding of what it takes to make a living.

"Knowledge is power", it is said.  There are a lot of powerless
beneficiaries of public education around.  Or that's what a lot of
people claim to be (powerless to help themselves).

   ..
>Blanc

Thread