1996-08-05 - Re: Internal Passports

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
To: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Message Hash: d4977b875e55aadc566f8f63c0d2aa375a190dbaf88f98a21c643c5c59ec5986
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960805040046.21970A-100000@eff.org>
Reply To: <v02120d27ae2b05587a10@[192.0.2.1]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-05 14:03:36 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 22:03:36 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 22:03:36 +0800
To: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Internal Passports

I had the same problems when I was working at Xerox in Webster, NY.
Supermarkets just plain didn't want to accept my passport as valid ID.

More recently, I attended an IEEE conference at MITRE in Virginia. To
enter the building, they required you to fill out a form listing your
SSN. The forms were taped to the guard's desk, in full view of anyone who
was curious.

I was horrified and gave a random number.

A friend who was with me (who in fact is on cypherpunks) dutifully gave
her correct SSN. Oh, and they wanted photo ID. I offered press
credentials. Unfortunately for the lackey, it didn't have any sort of
serial or ID number on it he could record.

-Declan

On Sun, 4 Aug 1996, Lucky Green wrote:

> At 15:48 8/4/96, Bill Stewart wrote:
>
> >I wonder if they'll still accept an American passport; the country
> >has obviously been taken over by Pod People while we weren't looking....
>
> A US passport is not considered valid ID by the State of Oregon. If
> somebody here doesn't belive this, send someone who looks like he might be
> under 21 into any liquor store in Oregon with just an US passport.
>

> -- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred.
>    Defeat the Demopublican Unity Party. Vote no on Clinton/Dole in November.
>    Vote Harry Browne for President.

// declan@eff.org // I do not represent the EFF // declan@well.com //

Thread