1996-08-08 - Re: Public report of the EU crack.

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e2998d60d5b6a1005c01626118661c886eca067e96527ad02356697568c4d0dc
Message ID: <199608080520.WAA29193@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:13:36 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:13:36 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Public report of the EU crack.

>Hallam-Baker wrote:
>>I consider the political dimension of this affair to
>>be more significant that the technical. This brings the
>>US and the French into the same category of anti-crypto
>>government with a habit of poking its nose into other
>>people business and getting caught.

Phill - do you know if the French ever got caught actively
breaking computers or telecomm equipment outside their country,
or have they only been hit for eavesdropping and breakins
on their subjects and foreigners within their boundaries?
It seems like the US government, if they really did this,
has gone a step beyond even France's level of tackiness,
as well as exceeding the "legitimate needs of law enforcement"
that Louis Freeh has been ranting about.  Is this some campaign
to reinforce Clinton's call for protecting the National Information
Infrastructure, or have they decided that voluntary key escrow
is too slow so they'll steal what they can now?

The technically interesting part is just that there are bugs
in routers and SNMP can be used to attack them.  We've seen
bugs before, and we've seen bugs used to bug people.

At 02:20 PM 8/5/96 -0700, drose@AZStarNet.com (David M. Rose) wrote:

>>		Phill
>
>Say what?  John Young I can understand; this blather?
>
>Att: "Doc" Baker/Mr. Hyde, err, Hallam: any rudimentary text on
>diction/grammer/syntax might be helpful to you.
>
>Sheesh!  At least Sternlight seemed to be acquainted with the English language.

David - It's good form, if you _must_ flame people's spelling and
grammar on the net, to spell grammar correctly.
Understanding grammar well enough to recognize correct English
when you see it is a fine point mainly noticed by people whose
abilities run beyond the capability of running a spellchecker;
Phill's is fine (except a missing 's), if lacking JYA's obscure poetic touch.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# <A HREF="http://idiom.com/~wcs"> 	Defuse Authority!

Thread