1996-08-29 - Small German bank claims first with online service

Header Data

From: “Joseph M. Reagle Jr.” <reagle@rpcp.mit.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e2e4076ef42c3a1093d2f79e753a60afdfcd66346ec1baac67595d48ea6343c8
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960829141734.00746308@206.33.128.129>
Raw Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 01:33:55 +0800

Raw message

From: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@rpcp.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 01:33:55 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Small German bank claims first with online service

>	 FRANKFURT, Aug 28 (Reuter) - German private bank Gries &
>Heissel Bankiers on Wednesday launched an Internet banking
>service -- the first comprehensive service of its kind in a
>country where online bank options are gradually taking off.
>	 The small Berlin-based bank linked up with U.S. computer
>firm Hewlett Packard Co to develop the system, which Internet
>users can access using a high-security personal code.
>	 Clients will be able to view detailed balances on their
>deposit, current and securities accounts and transact all normal
>banking business on the World Wide Web.
>	 Although online banking is a developing trend on the German
>financial services market, larger banks with far broader
>customer bases are working on more selective Internet packages.
>	 Thomas Gries, one of Gries & Heissel's personally-liable
>directors, said he regarded Internet banking as a logical
>supplement to the bank's existing services.
>	 ``We have had an Internet home page since October 1995. This
>move from a pure information medium to an interactive one was a
>logical one,'' Gries said.
>	 Banking officials attending the CEBIT electronics conference
>in Hanover this week said German online banking business was
>poised to grow dramatically.
>   ``In the next six months, five to ten German banks will be on
>the Internet,'' said Stefan Schoeller, board member at Bayerische
>Vereinsbank AG unit Vereins- und West Bank.
>	 Vereinsbank plans to launch Internet services within about
>six months via its Advance Bank direct unit, pending a review of
>security options.
>	 Rival discount broker Direkt Anlage Bank, a unit of
>Bayerische Hypotheken- und Wechsel Bank AG, on Tuesday launched
>an Internet service for its securities account holders at half
>the cost of its telephone banking service.
>	 Meanwhile market leader Deutsche Bank AG is to test
>electronic cash on the Internet this autumn in a joint
>initiative with Dutch electronic payments group Digicash NV.
>	 Vereinsbank officials at CEBIT said they planned a steady
>expansion of the bank's online options over the coming years,
>predicting 10 to 15 percent of its current account clients would
>be online by the year 2000. Around 12 million Germans would rely
>on home banking by that date, the bank predicted.
>	 At the moment, around 3.7 percent of the bank's clients, or
>45,000 individuals, handle their banking via PC alone, Stefan
>Schoeller said.
>	 Hewlett-Packard's German sales manager Michael Lindner said
>his company, which last year helped set up the world's first
>Internet bank, Security First Network Bank, had spoken to
>several other German banks about some kind of Internet venture.
>	 ``We certainly do not plan to limit our involvement to a
>small exclusive bank,'' he said.
>	 Lindner said there were about two million Internet users in
>Germany and 35 million worldwide. He admitted that the amount of
> [...]
Regards,            Boredom is the feeling that everything is a waste of time;
                    serenity, that nothing is. -Thomas Szasz
Joseph  Reagle      http://rpcp.mit.edu/~reagle/home.html
reagle@mit.edu      E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65  BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E

Thread