1996-08-21 - Re: “Utilization Review”

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Message Hash: ef8cfad73c7b7ffdf4fffebc26a880bb130e2d22fa854cda4f74a6fd6c478aac
Message ID: <199608210220.TAA19927@netcom8.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:59:34 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:59:34 +0800
To: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Subject: Re: "Utilization Review"

At  7:01 PM 8/20/96 -0400, Alan Horowitz wrote:
>If you want to convince the masses - or even fashion elites such as myself
>- to forego recourse to voluntary risk sharing.... you have your work cut
>out for you.

The insurance companies have every reason to perform "Utilization Reviews",
since only they have incentive to contain costs.  Our medical plans tend to
insure for routine medical care and as a result, give the insurance
companies the data about our routine care.  If they only paid for
catastrophic illness and accident care, they would only have reason to have
data on that care.

Do you want to share the risk of routine medical care?  Or do you just want
to share the risk of catastrophic illnesses and accidents?  Or do you want
to keep it all private.  What you pay for, you can keep private.  What they
pay for, they can review.  Your choice.

Bill Frantz       | Cave ab homine unius lebri | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     |  [Beware the man of one    | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com |   book]  - Anonymous Latin | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread