1996-08-29 - Re: MUD anyone?

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f1bb48eb1621086188581e7f1b9f7bd410f653e8c0ee8e4834a68fed7a97cb5c
Message ID: <ae4b16e901021004256d@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:20:55 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:20:55 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: MUD anyone?

I second many of the comments about the difficulties in coding a reasonably
plausible game or MUD for exploring list ideas.

Just about four years ago exactly, at the first meeting of what was to
become the Cypherpunks group, we "played" the "Crypto Anarchy Game." Based
solely on paper tokens, like Monopoly, the idea was to introduce people to
concepts like digital money, anonymous remailers, information markets, and
so on. Sealed envelopes represented remailed messages, with "mixing" done
by hand.

Lots of imperfections, lots of stalls and dead ends, lots of confusion.
Protocols were imperfectly enforced, messages got lost (literally "dropped
on the floor"), and the game eventually ended in laughter, confusion, and
silliness. But it was deemed useful by most present, as it made more real
the abstractions talked about in the morning session.

Coding nearly any of the core cryptographic concepts for use in an online
game, even without a real crypto core (e.g., using other trust mechanisms)
is likely to be almost as big a job as actually coding the concepts for
real-world use. Could be very educational, and a useful dry run for later
real-world reification of concepts, but by no means easy.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. Go for it! But it's a _big_ project.

And as Jim Bell noted, there are all sorts of costs which are not properly
accounted for. I would not, for example, expect anything interesting to
emerge out of the simulation of "assassination politics" in such a game, as
the costs, dangers, moral issues, and whatnot are not properly
accounted-for in such a MUD-type simulation. (No more so than in a fantasy
role-playing game, where characters die routinely...)

And as a last note, we had a couple of "hits" bought anonymously back then,
during the game, in '92.

(Hint: One doesn't need a Bell-style infrastructure for bidding on the
death of politicians to raise the money for a hit....many interested
parties would surely pay the $5000 (or less, say some) to buy a hit if the
risks were lowered. And to paraphrase Bell, "I know a way to lower the
risks.")

--Tim May