1996-08-09 - Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f4eb3c5a990889519f69b114c42dec7c85f56c6d7f7c15911e1c159d63e97688
Message ID: <ae30277d0b021004309f@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:33:37 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:33:37 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

At 2:49 AM 8/9/96, John F. Fricker wrote:

>Isn't that the role of legislation? To implement solutions that society
>would not do on it's own?
>
>The enabling technology is obviously off the self.
>
>I think you may have misinterpretted my last sentence which was supposed to
>have had a ? at the end. Where's the proof reader when you need one!

"To implement solutions that society would not do on it's own?"

Would not do, or could not do? It is within anyone's power to ask their
psychiatrist what form of encryption he uses to protect his files. Likewise
with doctors and hospitals.

(Though I freely admit that one would not be likely to get very far. For at
least the next decade or two, the reaction will likely be "Huh?" But
"legislation" mandating a form of encryption is not the answer. For many
reasons.)

On this list at least, calls for passing laws to implement societal
solutions are not usually smiled upon. This is not to say such discussions
are out of bounds, only that you'd better make some persuasive arguments
and not just appeal to our common sense sympathies for social engineering
and more laws.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!