1996-08-13 - Fw: 1024-bit keys

Header Data

From: David.K.Merriman@toad.com, “webmaster@www.shellback.com” <merriman@amaonline.com>
To: spencer@luckman.com
Message Hash: f70e5b9e18a2b755224432ef416620c6fdf5b56ac2c3babeb6b5938af22b031a
Message ID: <199608131404.HAA06583@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 05:22:07 +0800

Raw message

From: David.K.Merriman@toad.com,       "webmaster@www.shellback.com" <merriman@amaonline.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 05:22:07 +0800
To: spencer@luckman.com
Subject: Fw: 1024-bit keys

To: spencer@luckman.com, cypherpunks@toad.com
Date: Tue Aug 13 10:36:48 1996
Absent any ability to cite a chapter-and-verse for making such a statement,
and considering the vagueness of it, I would suggest that it either be
clarified, justified, or removed.

I would think that, in it's present form, that statement leaves Luckman in
no small amount of jeopardy: if true, but misunderstood because of lack of
reference, anyone violating it may seek redress against Luckman in the
event of prosecution by some law enforcement agency. If untrue, Luckman
could be considered equally liable for any real or perceived lost income
because of an erroneous limitation, when it's incorrectness is discovered.

- -----Begin Included Message -----

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:00:42 -0700
 From: Spencer Yuen <spencer@luckman.com> (by way of Technical Support via
Heidi <heidi@luckman.com>)
To: merriman@shiner.amaonline.com

David,

to my knowledge- it's the latter. U.S. prevents Verisign from deploying
keys
greater than 512 bits to Web servers outside the U.S.. And no, I can't
tell you the Federal Regulation, Title, Section.

>"Also, please note that you cannot send keys longer than 512 to servers
>outside the United States."
>
>I would like to ask for clarification on this point. Is this meant to say
>that a server inside the United States is not allowed to use a 512+ bit
key
>with a client outside the U.S., or that a Web Commander server outside the
>U.S. may not employ a key of greater than 512 bits? In either case, what
is
>the justification for such a statement/restriction? If a Federal
>regulation, could you please cite the Title and Section?

|       Spencer Yuen              |       Luckman Interactive       |
|       spencer@luckman.com       |       (213) 614-0966            |
|       Quality Assurance         |        ext. 145                 |

Heidi Lou Bailey
(h) 213.664.8669
(w) 213.614.0966 ext. 137

The world is stinky and the world is smelly. That makes for a nice day
                              ////
                             (0 0)
                        **ooO*(_)*Ooo**

"To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of the arts."

          *     *
        *   * *   *
  >>--- *         *  NICK-->
         *       *
           *   *
             *

- ---- End of forwarded message ----
PGP Email welcome, encouraged, and PREFERRED. Visit my web
site at         http://www.shellback.com/p/merriman
for my PGP key and fingerprint
"What is the sound of one hand clapping in a forest
with no one there to hear it?"
I use Pronto Secure (tm) PGP-fluent Email software for Windows

Thread