1996-09-03 - Re: Free Speech and List Topics

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: tcmay@got.net
Message Hash: 1236a317cabc3e27359a586f5954c6cd072f73de4ba69dbf7c577c553e3cfd9a
Message ID: <01I90JJH1NJ49JDDSI@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 11:57:59 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 11:57:59 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net
Subject: Re: Free Speech and List Topics

From:	IN%"tcmay@got.net"  2-SEP-1996 05:36:20.36

>No self-respecting Cypherpunk thinks the Antitrust Act and related acts are
>worthy of enforcement.

>(Think of how the technology we support will tend to allow new avenues for
>price collusion, interlocking directorates, new forms of business combines,
>unreadable secure communications with foreign competitors, and so on, all
>things the Antitrust regulators are already growing worried about.)

	There's a difference between thinking something shouldn't be enforced
(e.g., drug laws for adults) and thinking that other things - such as privacy
and free speech - are more important than fully effective enforcement of
something (anti-terrorism measures, AntiTrust Act, etcetera). I don't think
that transparent houses, as Perry put it, should be required to prevent murders
- but I don't approve of murders either. It's a problem with means, not ends.
	-Allen

Thread