1996-09-23 - Re: Informal Renegotiation of the Law

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: adamsc@io-online.com
Message Hash: 16818e0881b677f6bca0a077b3acf811687b6e3a8ef6fa8d0b686d2bfe75dca1
Message ID: <199609230243.VAA00509@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <19960918160153703.AAC88@IO-ONLINE.COM>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-23 09:09:00 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 17:09:00 +0800

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 17:09:00 +0800
To: adamsc@io-online.com
Subject: Re: Informal Renegotiation of the Law

Mr. Adams wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Sep 1996 17:54:49 -0500 (CDT), snow wrote:
>>> For example, you will not read anywhere that compulsory education laws have
>>> rare.  Compulsory education has been effectively repealed by the actions of
>>> refusenicks in both the subject population and the enforcement population.
>>     Their children are still getting educated. Not thoroughly enough in
>>some cases, but educated in the basics.
>It has always seemed somewhat amusing that we will have a) a widespread opinion
>that homeschooling is of lesser value and b) numerous studies, surveys,
>testimonials, reports, etc, that show what a rotten job public education is
>doing*.   This raises the question of how anyone even remotely concerned with
>their children's welfare could do worse. . .    Yet another unexplained mass
>insanity.

     I would agree that parents can do as good or better at _most_ subjects
thru about the 3rd or 4th grade, and I do agree that most of todays schools
are shit, however there is one area--social skills--that homeschooling
simply can't compete. Children need to learn how to interact with one another
in groups larger than a family unit. I don't think that homeschooling can
accomplish this nearly as well as the public (or private) schools could.

     I also don't think this is as important as, say Math, Science, or
English.

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>
snow@smoke.suba.com