1996-09-18 - WARNING: Major Net-Abuse

Header Data

From: “Z.B.” <zachb@netcom.com>
To: Cypherpunks List <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 1cff03090c56526d8de66a913f21e10ae61d24c43ecbffcfff676a6eb935b59e
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9609172157.A5778-0100000@netcom16>
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 17:08:26 +0800

Raw message

From: "Z.B." <zachb@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 17:08:26 +0800
To: Cypherpunks List <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: WARNING: Major Net-Abuse

I don't know the full details about this, so I'll try to give as good an
explanation as I can.  Since sometime yesterday, someone has been posting
huge binaries all over Usenet, usually to at least 20 groups at a time.
The files are usually several thousand parts big at the least, and are
posted to either groups in which people are likely to respond with
emailbombs, or test groups that send you a reply if the message appears
on them.  What some $#&!@-heads are doing is changing the Reply-To
headers to the addresses of people who they dislike or want to harass.
See where I'm going now?  10000 posts to a test group with your address
on it = 10000 emails in your inbox.

I posted this because there are some people on both of these lists who
might be the target of one of these spams, and you might want to get your
killfiles ready, just in case.

Thanks for your time, and sorry if I annoyed anyone with the off-topic
post.

---

Zach Babayco

zachb@netcom.com  <----- finger for PGP public key