1996-09-23 - Re: Internet File System?

Header Data

From: Scottauge@aol.com
To: johnbr@atl.mindspring.com
Message Hash: 25573a4b16659440363e8ad5944e117fc7a92cd2a5af22eb5730da0a4eb766b4
Message ID: <960922232858108284943@emout01.mail.aol.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-09-23 05:51:27 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 13:51:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Scottauge@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 13:51:27 +0800
To: johnbr@atl.mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Internet File System?

This is actually a good idea.

There is something in the UNIX world called NFS (network file system).  It is
based on TCP/IP sockets.

I do not know if you know anything about UNIX, but the file system used does
not have logical drives (like a: or b: etc), just one huge tree that can span
across many harddrives on many computers, thus making them all look like one.
 NFS helps to connect the other computer's file systems to the network tree.

I think it is pretty cool...

There is an RFC for it, though I do not remember the number.  I read it once
cuz I was planning a windows 95 version so I can hook my laptop up to my UNIX
computers, but I found software to do it with and was like, why should I kill
time on it when I could be using it to make money!  It is very complete and
designed to be implemented in C.  Since Java is so close to C, a port could
probably be made fairly easily (provided ya know something about writing file
systems/operating systems ;) )

Thread