1996-09-02 - new-thinking mailing list tidbit; Singapore slings

Header Data

From: “P. J. Ponder” <ponder@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 335d03272e539971e0605a326e907bc88584aad4dd3c3b398958941bdb7ab57b
Message ID: <Pine.OSF.3.91.960902132848.8336A-100000@fn3.freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 04:53:50 +0800

Raw message

From: "P. J. Ponder" <ponder@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 04:53:50 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com

keywords: thought police; mind control; Stone Age; cluelessness;
          Island nation; why are remailers bad?

the mailing list 'new-thinking' has an interesting piece in the
current issue, speaking of on-line communities of interest.
the archive is at:

For a hyperlinked version of this piece, please go to:
http://www.nua.ie/NewThinking/Archives/newthinking011/index.html
For New thinking archives, please go to:
http://www.nua.ie/NewThinking/Archives/index.html

+++++

sounds like the Singapore brainwashing is working pretty well if their
educated people are opposed to even a discussion of whether free speech
is a good thing or not.  Yikes.  It isn't a cultural thing, pinhead.

Get life, government goon.  Free speech is the right to say things
others - even a _majority_ or even the government - may find unpopular.
And you can tell your fascist dictator I said so.
--
P.J. Ponder

OBCrypto:
for a keyed-SHA signature system, is there an advantage to pre-pending
the keystring as opposed to appending it?  I think I read something
about this in one of Hugo Kracyk's (sp) papers about a keyed-MD5 system,
but now I can't find it.  If I recall correctly, he explained why it
was better to put the key part in the beginning, instead of the end....
Thanks for any help.

[Anti-Dyson and anti-EFF rant left off for now. waiting for more
Didn't change my mind about anonymity being a good thing, though.  It
will be interesting to see what Julf gets back from his survey of why
people are opposed or in favor of anonymity.]  [See the web page listed
in the press release from penet.]

I looked at the FTP, Inc. software site referenced here a few days ago
for the email package that integrates PGP. Pretty hefty package to ftp
over a 28.8 dialup.  The write-up on the web page looked good - I'll ftp
it at the office over the T1 if I can and see what it does.  I assume
it blows up after the 30 days (or whatever the trial period is)?

Thread