1996-09-02 - RE: Sharp knives

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: Asgaard <asgaard@Cor.sos.sll.se>
Message Hash: 37afcaa549446a4de60fd3ed04b6bcb36e9b5d8541b4abdb998529a3f28d7116
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.94.960902165001.26405A-100000@polaris>
Reply To: <Pine.HPP.3.91.960902134028.4162B-100000@cor.sos.sll.se>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-02 22:47:56 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 06:47:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 06:47:56 +0800
To: Asgaard <asgaard@Cor.sos.sll.se>
Subject: RE: Sharp knives

On Mon, 2 Sep 1996, Asgaard wrote:

>  "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>, writes:
>  >I heard on talk.politics.guns somebody say that in Sweden they
>  >had banned knives with a sharp point at the end, and were going
>  >to ban sharp knives altogether.  I think he was just engaging in
>  >hyperbole, that he really meant that gun control in Sweden was
>  >unreasonably strict, but on reflection I am not sure.
>
> There is a law in Sweden, some 5 years old, against carrying
> 'dangerous devices' (hunting knives, Ninja stars etc) in 'public
> places' (unless you are a carpenter, electrician or some such
> going about your business). It's okay to carry a knife when
> going fishing/hunting or sitting on your terrace carving totem poles.
> It's only a misdemeanour and might be punished with a fine,
> but usually the cops just use the law to disarmour street gangs
> on the spot. The effects of the law are dubious. Knives have come
> into fashion among teenagers after this legislation (but not as
> a consequence of it, I think).

This mirrors D.C.'s concealed weapon law.

A screwdriver is a weapon if you are carrying it for that purpose (i.e. if
the cop thinks he wants to arrest you) but a tool if you are carrying it
for that purpose (i.e., if you are wearing an expensive suit and look
non-ethnic).

--
I hate lightning - finger for public key - Vote Monarchist
unicorn@schloss.li

Thread