1996-09-07 - IDC_ard

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 38d6dd5784a29f33cd927fc28c0e004bea89c11c886f7d4063ea8799720b39d0
Message ID: <199609071146.LAA06846@pipe1.t1.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 21:53:15 +0800

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 21:53:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: IDC_ard

   9-8-96. NYP Mag:

   "The True Terror Is In the Card."

      Faced with rising crime, illegal immigration, welfare
      fraud and absentee parents, many bureaucrats and members
      of Congress insist that the nation would run more
      smoothly if we all had counterfeit-proof plastic
      identity cards.

      Let's be clear that this is a one-way street. Once
      having established a requirement to carry photo ID, it
      will be difficult if not impossible to reverse.

      Don't we realize the dangers of allowing the Government
      to establish identity and legitimacy? Isn't it, in fact,
      the responsibility of the citizenry to establish the
      legitimacy of the Government?

   -----

   http://jya.com/idcard.txt  (11 kb)

   IDC_ard