1996-09-03 - Passive Trojan (was:Re: HAZ-MAT virus)

Header Data

From: “Paul S. Penrod” <furballs@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4deb5c33accc661a8262f30b98f062f84d72dbe4c988f411d5c61eb5b28b4bfc
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9609021532.A29664-0100000@netcom>
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 16:01:40 +0800

Raw message

From: "Paul S. Penrod" <furballs@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 16:01:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Passive Trojan (was:Re: HAZ-MAT virus)

This has been done in the past using several vairants (but not in a image
program).

The key to the success is that the application in question has to be
compromised to respond to these codes, either by design or by hacking.
Either way the individual responsible must modify the execution
mechanism, not just the data itself.

Let's see -current examples of computing items with this kind of a
"feature"... magic cookies, macros, OLE, DDE, MS Objects, JAVA, and the
list keeps growing.