1996-09-30 - Diffie Speaks at Sun: “Cryptology, Technology, and Politics”

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 69dbbdd481a4af3a1ad1d706caca98aa9baf0bc62a206138e0326106b88b41e6
Message ID: <v0300781bae759720195f@[206.119.69.46]>
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 05:57:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 05:57:13 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Diffie Speaks at Sun: "Cryptology, Technology, and Politics"

--- begin forwarded text

From: Rich Lethin <lethin@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:06:20 -0400
To: rah@shipwright.com
Subject: [joei@hq.lcs.mit.edu: DLS -- the first one this year]

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 14:34:24 -0400
To: seminars@lcs.mit.edu, help-teach@hq.lcs.mit.edu, eecsfaculty@eecs.mit.edu
From: joei@hq.lcs.mit.edu (Joei Juanita Marshall)
Subject: DLS -- the first one this year

DISTINGUISHED LECTURER SERIES

DATE:   October 17, 1996

TIME:    3:15 - Refreshments
         4:00 - Lecture

PLACE:  MIT, Building 34, Room 101, Vassar St., Cambridge, MA

"Cryptology, Technology, and Politics"

Dr. Whitfield Diffie
Distinguished Engineer
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
October 17, 1996

Abstract:

>From World War I on, interception of communications took its place beside
traditional human intelligence as a vital implement of state power.  Over
the past two decades, a combination of falling costs and new technologies
have made high-grade cryptography widely available. This threatens many
communications intelligence sources --- though probably not communications
intelligence itself. The result has been a series of panicky government
attempts to control the spread of cryptographic technology.  As long as
individuals have access to computers that really `work for them,' such
attempts are unlikely to succeed.  The opponents of cryptography may,
nonetheless, damage both our democracy and our economy with their efforts.

Host: Professor Michael Dertouzos

Joei Juanita Marshall
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Laboratory for Computer Science
545 Technology Square
NE43-104
Cambridge, MA  02139

Phone: (617) 253-0145
Fax: (617) 258-8682

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"'Bart Bucks' are not legal tender."
                -- Punishment, 100 times on a chalkboard,
                       for Bart Simpson
The e$ Home Page: http://www.vmeng.com/rah/

Thread