1996-09-30 - Re: The Nature of the Cypherpunks List

Header Data

From: Travis Hassloch x231 <travis@evtech.com>
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: 6f428e6ce949ad3ebaa4d767e1d13b6233b63f9f8db201b6143b135392ac0c28
Message ID: <199609302011.PAA15378@tahiti.evtech.com>
Reply To: <199609241913.PAA19989@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-30 23:57:25 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 07:57:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Travis Hassloch x231 <travis@evtech.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 07:57:25 +0800
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: The Nature of the Cypherpunks List

In message <199609241913.PAA19989@jekyll.piermont.com> you write:
> Timothy C. May writes:
> > While some folks would rather we talked only about "crypto," just how many
> > times can basic questions about Diffie-Hellman, or RSA, or elliptic curves
> > be discussed?
>
> Sure, there is a limit to what can be said about cryptography and the
> direct politics of cryptography. *THAT IS THE POINT*. That is why I'm
> starting a new list -- so that I can abandon this waste heap to those
> that like frolicking in the mire.

here here.  400 messages in less than a week, with no digest, no moderated
equivalent and no explanation for the "-ratings" list?
who has time for that?  i'm interested in crypto but
i have a hard time believing any serious researcher could sift through all
the messages and still have time left to eat & breathe, much less code!

goodbye (again!) cypherpunks list!  i had hoped things had changed in
the last 2+ years but i guess not.  as far as i'm concerned if it
generates > 10 emails a day i'd have to justify reading it to my
employers, or cut back on my coding at home, neither of which is
likely to happen :)

i am interested in any alternatives, cypherpunks readers...
other mailing lists that are serious about crypto, security, etc.
wasn't there talk at one time of a list for coders?  can anyone
remind me of what happened to it or where it exists now?

Thread