1996-09-09 - Re: Conservation Laws, Money, Engines, and Ontology

Header Data

From: DAVID A MOLNAR <molnard1@nevada.edu>
To: Greg Kucharo <sophi@best.com>
Message Hash: 7b5febe91724fcfb0cfa8038f1c9d66ba45a73e3c12f8ceb36351d66c0ec3afd
Message ID: <Pine.OSF.3.91.960909015444.1677B-100000@pioneer.nevada.edu>
Reply To: <199609090401.VAA26172@dns2.noc.best.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-09 11:10:00 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 19:10:00 +0800

Raw message

From: DAVID A MOLNAR <molnard1@nevada.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 19:10:00 +0800
To: Greg Kucharo <sophi@best.com>
Subject: Re: Conservation Laws, Money, Engines, and Ontology

On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Greg Kucharo wrote:

>   Here's where reputations could come in.  You cound't open a new account
> anywhere without a good "reputation".  This could aid in balancing the load
> of certain people.
	Hey, if we're going to do that, why not go all the way and
imagine a "virtuous society" in which e-cash is based on reputation. In
order to obtain v$, one must submit to a "reputation asessment" by one of
several firms, which then issue a given amount of v-cash based on their
findings. An ISP simply requires an arbitrary amount of v-cash along with
the usual $$ every month. At the end of the month, your friendly Moral
Monitor greps thru Usenet and all the mailing lists he monitors looking
for your name, then adjusts your account accordingly.

Different moral codes would have different agencies. :-)

For this service, of course, you pay a modest fee. But it's a small price
to pay for spiritual peace of mind. Perhaps we'd see the rise of
reputation constultants in such a system. How about people with such large
"fortunes" that they create wealth simply by being associated with
someone else?

Don't forget the block meetings. :->

-David Molnar

Phil Dick is dead, alas...