1996-09-12 - Re: What is best policy paper on crypto?

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To: declan@eff.org (Declan McCullagh)
Message Hash: 8336383f2cd79822320224b58861131260bd47f01d31a03396708c2f6a0b0648
Message ID: <199609121242.HAA05004@homeport.org>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960911201759.26035J-100000@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-12 16:27:45 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 00:27:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 00:27:45 +0800
To: declan@eff.org (Declan McCullagh)
Subject: Re: What is best policy paper on crypto?

Declan McCullagh wrote:
| I happen to know that an influential Congresspern will be meeting with
| some Cato folks tomorrow morning, so I'm assuming this isn't an idle
| request.
|
| -Declan

	The NAS report, despite a few silly points, does push for
liberalization of the export regime, standardization, a switch to
an 'assume export' stance, states that the debate can be carried out
in public, and that classified information is not needed, and suggests
that crypto can help reduce many threats to Americans.

	It does not suggest abolishing the ITARs, and suggests
consideration of a law criminalizing the criminal use of crypto.

	It is a balanced report, and has NSA, and attorney generals on
it.  Otherwise, I'd go with some of Whit's testimony before Congress.

	(Saw a presentation by Herb Lin yesterday at MIT.)

Adam

					               -Hume

Thread