1996-09-17 - Re: Spam blacklist project

Header Data

From: Jim Ray <liberty@gate.net>
To: hallam@ai.mit.edu
Message Hash: 8cc5b579b56d955797d95bc656554f0073a7f73ff26d63e4b9aac90d2428df18
Message ID: <199609170200.WAA13918@osceola.gate.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 14:20:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Ray <liberty@gate.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 14:20:45 +0800
To: hallam@ai.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Spam blacklist project

To: hallam@ai.mit.edu, cypherpunks@toad.com
Date: Mon Sep 16 21:57:31 1996
Phill wrote:

[interesting anti-spam idea.]

>       Of course I don't for a moment imagine that this will
> be 100% effective. Without government regulation there will
> always be slimeballs who send mail to people who don't want it.

Your faith in big government, despite seemingly every bit of evidence
possible to the contrary, astounds me sometimes. Churches, Mosques, etc.
struggle mightily for this kind of thought pattern in believers, yet it
comes to you naturally, in secular life. Truly a marvel, and on _this_ list,
of all places. It has kept me from killfiling you, but I must occasionally
express my awe at the power of faith to literally move mountains. There is a
"regulation" (law) against [murder, selling/growing reefer, selling sexual
services, assault, you name it] yet you'd never deny that these behaviors
still exist, would you? Somehow, though, you still seem to manage to think
that spamming slimeballs will just disappear with more regulations. It's
astonishing.

>       The advantage of this scheme is that it would mean that
> the spam industry can avoid regulation pressure and they can
> deflect criticism.

I thought that "The Hippie of Crime" proved that spammers, if slick enough,
could deflect criticism from themselves without any government help.

> Meanwhile recipients of unwanted spam have
> a legitimate beef.

Don't we already have a legitimate beef, though? [I like your idea, BTW.] In
fact, in view of Ian's recent posting, don't we already have a law, too?
JMR -- "I think I'll reattach my printer to this machine."

Regards, Jim Ray -- DNRC Minister of Encryption Advocacy

"As govt.s grow arithmetically, corruption grows exponentially."
 -- Ray's Law of official corruption.

 Defeat the Duopoly!             Stop the Browne out.
 Harry Browne for President. Jo Jorgensen for Vice-president.
 http://www.HarryBrowne96.org/   http://www.twr.com/stbo
PGP id.E9BD6D35 51 5D A2 C3 92 2C 56 BE  53 2D 9C A1 B3 50 C9 C8
I will generate a new (and bigger) PGP key-pair on election night.
<mailto:liberty@gate.net> http://www.shopmiami.com/prs/jimray

Thread