1996-09-02 - Re: Los Angeles Times article on Helsingius and anon.penet.fi

Header Data

From: Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
To: unicorn@schloss.li (Black Unicorn)
Message Hash: 8cd2beda40fb96dae883c1197a20530bbce66498cd4cf0141ac4e545d51ed988
Message ID: <199609021023.UAA09571@suburbia.net>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.94.960902024727.26034B-100000@polaris>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-02 13:23:51 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 21:23:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 21:23:51 +0800
To: unicorn@schloss.li (Black Unicorn)
Subject: Re: Los Angeles Times article on Helsingius and anon.penet.fi

> On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Esther Dyson wrote:
>
> > Now, speaking personally: I believe there are trade-offs -- which is what I
> > told the LA Times.  I assume I was quoted accurately (although the word
> > "enforce" is awkward), but out of context.   Anonymity can be dangerous --
> > as can traceability, especially in/by repressive regimes.  Therefore I would
> > favor allowing anonymity -- with some form of traceability only under terms
> > considerably stronger than what are generally required for a wiretap.
> > Anyone who seriously needs anonymity because of a repressive government is
> > likely to use a foreign (outside whatever jurisdiction he fears) server, so
> > that this is not a matter of "local" laws.  The tracer would have to pass
> > through what I hope would be tighter hoops than we have now.
> >
> > Please note that this is not the same as the right to *private*
> > conversations and the use of encryption; this is the issue of being
> > accountable for what you publish in public.
>
> I've left the attributation list open because I think my view a majority
> one.
>
> The inclinations I had to be involved with or financially support EFF are,
> after reading this, entirely quashed.
>
> What is or is not your personal or EFF's official position is meaningless.
> It is clear that the personal beliefs of those involved in EFF are
> those of compromise, present day politics, and a general lack of moral
> fiber.
>
> The political assumptions and the degree of technical invasion that would
> make the above scheme possible are either hopelessly naive, or insidiously
> invasive.
>
> --
> I hate lightning - finger for public key - Vote Monarchist
> unicorn@schloss.li

I agree with you whole-heartedly. I am stunned by the EFF's position on
this matter and they no longer have my support. Here are some more
of Dyson's statements on this subject.

[http://bin-1.gnn.com/gnn/feat/dyson/index.html]

   [...]

   The EFF began very much as a civil rights "don't tread on me" kind of
   organization, and in a sense one of our major jobs was helping to
   educate law enforcement and the government. I wouldn't say that job
   is done, but now we also need to educate a broader population. If our
   motto was civil rights in cyberspace, it's now civil rights and
   responsibilities, because as more people come on to the Internet,
   they have to understand their responsibilities as well as their
   rights. If people don't do that, someone is going to try to come and
   regulate them. We are trying to create a civil society rather than a
   legal society in cyberspace.

   [...]

   We are strongly in favor of privacy, although there's some kind of
   balance required because of the need for a free press. Anonymity is a
   tougher one, and we actually don't have a formal position on that.
   The need for anonymity I agree with, but there are issues with
   accountability that mean it shouldn't be absolute.

Examining in detail Dyson's interests it appears she maintains a
sizeable and long-standing interest in Eastern European technology
companies. She is also clearly very far to the right of the political
spectrum (rampant capitalist would be putting it mildly). She also speaks
Russian. I'm not saying she has been working for the CIA for the past
decade, but I would be very surprised if the CIA has not exerted quite
significant pressure (which they are easily able to do given the
location of many of Dyson's assets) in order to bring her into their
folds during that time period.

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons

Thread