1996-09-05 - German prosecutors redouble attack on Net, subversive leftists

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8de0f7eea359d80a5311de4235f10ddb346d1866653c128cf14ccef3cd5f44b4
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9609042251.A15950-0100000@well.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 16:26:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 16:26:43 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: German prosecutors redouble attack on Net, subversive leftists

[Note www.anonymizer.com doesn't seem to be blocked. --Declan]

---

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 01:59:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Ulf Moeller <um@c2.net>
To: fight-censorship@vorlon.mit.edu
Subject: German Internet Censorhip: http://www.xs4all.nl

The German Generalbundesanwaltschaft (Chief Federal Prosecutor's
office) has "advised" the Internet providers to block access to
http://www.xs4all.nl:80 and http://www.serve.com:80 due to
supposedly illegal contents at the URLs http://www.serve.com/spg/154/,
http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/radikal//154/ and
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/angela1/radilink.htm.

The commercial ISPs have blocked the routes to the servers.
Their statement (in German) is at http://www.anwalt.de/ictf/p960901d.htm

"Radikal" (http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/radikal) is a publication
from the radical left that is illegal in Germany, but not in
the Netherlands.

---

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 22:15:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: fight-censorship@vorlon.mit.edu
Subject: Re: German Internet Censorhip: http://www.xs4all.nl

I heard about this a few days ago, but I was unable to verify it.

Yesterday I bounced mail through a German university to xs4all.nl back to
EFF, and it came through just fine. I also tried golden-gate.owl.de and
wserver.physnet.uni-hamburg.de, both of which have no problems talking to
xs4all.nl. From those tests, I can say there's no complete ban, though I
can't confirm or deny any partial ban.

However, just in case the German government is successful in this
censorship gambit, I've mirrored the three embattled web sites at:

  http://www.well.com/~declan/mirrors/

This is a quick grab of the files in question; I'll work on a formatted
intro page later.

(As background for more recent subscribers to fight-censorship, this isn't
the first time the German government has tried this. A similar move came
early this year when German prosecutors tried to cut connections to
webcom.com in California, where some of Ernst Zundel's Nazi "Holocaust
Revisionist" propaganda was hosted. I and a few other folks including Rich
at Stanford and Blake at Penn held our noses and mirrored it around the
country, prompting the Gemans to lift the ban. I had thought the German
prosecutors smarter than to try this again. I guess I was wrong.)

My global Net-censorship roundup is at:

  http://www.eff.org/~declan/global/

-Declan

Thread