1996-09-16 - The Living and the Dead

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8fdc8111e3edbfb840260ce76ec0ad0baeb9c0dd62d3fcceece4d59188f803fd
Message ID: <199609160154.BAA05664@pipe3.ny3.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:25:58 +0800

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:25:58 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: The Living and the Dead

   For the vets unable to sleep:

   The Washington Post has two heart-breaking pieces today
   on a new book about Vietnam, "The Living and the Dead:
   Robert McNamara and Five Lives," by Paul Hendrickson.

   The book tracks the disaster being formulated in 1965 by
   DC top-down policy interleaved with savagery to five
   grunts in bloody battle.

   There's a laudatory review of the grim book, and a long
   magazine piece gives an excerpt which includes some of
   Life's photos of a Marine copter gunner's transition from
   happy-go-lucky, to butchery of buddies, to grief-stricken
   collapse. It reawakens what's never forgot.

   That April, 1965, Life photo-essay, "One Ride With Yankee
   Papa 13," turned up in a sidewalk stall today so we'll
   put 18 photos on our Web page for a glimpse back to the
   future of power-mad policy begetting slaughter.

   http://jya.com/yp01.jpg

   through

   http://jya.com/yp18.jpg

Thread