1996-09-09 - Re: Los Angeles Times article on Helsingius and anon.penet.fi

Header Data

From: Jon Lebkowsky <jonl@well.com>
To: Enzo Michelangeli <gary@systemics.com>
Message Hash: a093c8900ba9561ce5f82b57f83b71671cf7e0a5c3636339c4683f7d6ba0affa
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960909114613.006ec718@mail.well.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 22:59:16 +0800

Raw message

From: Jon Lebkowsky <jonl@well.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 22:59:16 +0800
To: Enzo Michelangeli <gary@systemics.com>
Subject: Re: Los Angeles Times article on Helsingius and anon.penet.fi

At 06:04 PM 9/9/96 +0800, Enzo Michelangeli wrote:

>On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Gary Howland wrote:
>
>> Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
>>
>> > Perhaps, but defamation is an issue that can't be ignored either,
>> > especially if one tries to build systems based on reputation.
>>
>> It _is_ an issue that can be ignored - if the "defamer" backs up his
>> claims, then fine, the claims can be shown to be valid, otherwise ignore
>> those claims.  Simple.
>
>I and you may well choose to do so, but the vast majority of the human
>beings believe just anything that is repeated loud and long enough.
>Otherwise, nobody would hire PR and pay for advertisement, politicians
>wouln't be fedwith taxpayer's money, Bosnians would trade goods instead
>of gunshots, etc. I'm personally not interested in conjuring up the latest
>utopia for a minoritarian sect of illuminati: I need to live in the real
>world, and push for viable solutions that change it for better, now.
>
>Enzo

One viable solution you can push for: educate the 'vast majority' to
understand that these wordstreams have no mojo, that skepticism is a
surivival skill in the 'Information Age.'

--
Jon Lebkowsky <jonl@hotwired.com>  FAX (512)444-2693  http://www.well.com/~jonl
Electronic Frontiers Forum, 6PM PDT Thursdays     <http://www.hotwired.com/eff>

Thread