1996-09-01 - Re: DON’T Nuke Singapore Back into the Stone Age

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a3052b3348c76f2366c2ff9a66ae54d19f1af50fc9d2e2864fb1cd93b84a342b
Message ID: <199608312341.QAA09753@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 09:33:59 +0800

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 09:33:59 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: DON'T Nuke Singapore Back into the Stone Age

At 10:35 AM 8/31/96 -0700, tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May) wrote:
>The point is to make clear to them that the Usenet and similar Web sites
>are global in nature, not subject to censorship without a very high local
>cost. If discussions of Lee Kwan Yew's dynasty are considered illegal, then
>Singaporans will have to choose not to carry the various newsgroups into
>which *I* post such messages!
[.....]
>To be blunt, if Singapore wants to stop me from discussing the dictator Yew
>and his feeble son, they can't.  Except by pulling the plugs on forums in
>which my posts are carried.

Or they'll have to implement per-article filtering, whether done by
bots (easy to evade) or by humans (normally much harder.)
It's easy to have bots get rid of all postings/email/web mentioning
Tim May or Klaus von Future Prime, though tougher to do so if
you start posting anti-government-slander from your various Tentacles.

And they don't have to use humans to filter the whole web -
have bots identify any material containing the words "Singapore" or "Yew"
and forward it to the humans, though that makes web proxies a bit slow :-)

Reuters reports:
R>Contents deemed objectionable include those ``which tend to
R>bring the government into hatred or contempt, or which excite
R>disaffection against the government,'' an SBA statement said

Disaffection?  Everybody loves Lee Kwan Yew (or else) -
he's like a Big Brother to us!

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# <A HREF="http://idiom.com/~wcs"> 	Reassign Authority!