1996-09-29 - Re: “Confessing to a felony”

Header Data

From: “Gerard D. Cochrane Jr.” <gdcochra@utep.edu>
To: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Message Hash: b7b250131d3f6da522893857b356858299ba4d9c26bc52afd2841a1cc48b8160
Message ID: <Pine.HPP.3.95.960929025720.7234C-100000@mail.utep.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960929015322.6668L-100000@mercury.thepoint.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-29 11:04:03 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 19:04:03 +0800

Raw message

From: "Gerard D. Cochrane Jr." <gdcochra@utep.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 19:04:03 +0800
To: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Subject: Re: "Confessing to a felony"

On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Brian Davis wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:
>
> > At 5:43 PM -0400 9/27/96, Black Unicorn wrote:
> > >On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:
> >
> > >His admission that he used the notebook.  Recovering the notebook and
> > >finding the software.  Interviewing the Customs agent working at the time.
> >
> > His admission that he used _which_ notebook? Chain of evidence again.
> >
> > Finding _which_ software?
> >
> > (As for the Customs agent, I can assure you that my luggage has never been
> > checked upon either leaving the U.S. or entering the U.S. Even if U.S.
> > Customs could figure out who was working at the time I putatively entered
> > the country, and even if he remembered _me_, months later, just what
> > records would he have, and how would they stand up in court?)
> >
> > Hearing me say I "exported crypto," a hearsay claim, and happening to find
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> It is an admission against interest and a confession; it is admissible
> against the speaker in a prosecution against him for "exporting crypto"
> from a strictly evidentiary standpoint.
>
> > one or more laptops at my home, weeks or months later, implies nothing. (To
> > make the point graphically, suppose the raiding party finds _several_
> > laptops or notebooks...do they assume _all_ were taken out of the country,
> > or do they pick the one with the most incriminating software on it? Answer:
> > Unless they can _prove_ one of them was used, and that it had not been
> > _changed_ since the putative event (highly unlikely), they cannot simply
> > _assume_ one of them was taken out.
>
> Your understanding of evidence is inaccurate.  The evidence re the
> laptop[s] would be admissible and the parties would argue about what it
> meant.  The jury is entitled to draw common sense inferences.  That might
> be easy to do in a case in which a defendant has confessed....
>

> > (Seems to me to be an open and shut case. "Oh, _that_ laptop? That's not
> > the one I took to Europe."   "Oh, you say this laptop has PGP 5.9 on it?
> > So? I installed it last week. My trip to Europe was last summer.")
>
> So now you, as your own lawyer (apparently) have decided to take the
> stand and testify.  Remember that the prosecutor gets to cross-examine
> you.  Things are about to get ugly....
>

> > >Considering the headaches required for airline travel today, it's not like
> > >there aren't serious records abound.
> >
> > Such as? I recall no inspections of my luggage, no inventorying of the
> > serial numbers of my laptops, no inspection whatsoever of my
> > magneto-optical drives (which were in my carry-on luggage, and not even
> > glanced at, in the box they were in). X-rays would not prove what was taken
> > in or out of the country, even if "x-ray escrow" were implemented (which it
> > is not, according to all reports I have heard, and based on some practical
> > limits on storage), I doubt the records of a trip, say, last summer (of
> > '95) could be retrieved and prove that a particular laptop was taken out.
> [...]

YEAH FUCK YOU.. YOUR ALL FUCKING STUPID ... DONT FUCKIN WRITE THIS SHIT..
YER ALL DUMB STUPID LITTLE 5 YEAR OLDS WHO KNOW JACK SHIT.. GET OFF THE
FUCKIN SUBJECT YOU LAME ASS WHOREs.. FUCKIN YOU WANT A REAL FELONY.. TRY
TO HACK MY SYSTEM... THIS SYTEM CANNOT BE HACKED IF YOU GET ROOT I GIVE
YOU PERMISSION TO NUKE MY SYS.. FUCK YOU BASTARDS... STUPID NUTSAKCS.

Thread