1996-09-12 - Re: Court challenge to AOL junk-mail blocks

Header Data

From: watson@tds.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b92972a6806ab8a6e02b569b81beed8dcaf7d7a5a25c10acd48983bdf6f3164a
Message ID: <199609112133.OAA08338@mailman.tds.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:50:03 +0800

Raw message

From: watson@tds.com
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:50:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Court challenge to AOL junk-mail blocks

NetSurfer said:  If you know a valid email address on the spammers system you can always
bounce each message back to them.  If enough people turned the messages
back on them it might give them the opportunity to experience first hand
what its like to receive tons of mail you don't want or need...

Doesn't seem to work that well.  The "green card lawyers" were reported
to have received hate-mail in the hundreds of thousands.  The happily waded
through it all and pulled out a few valid replies who apparently made it
all a net profit for them, apparently.  What we really need is to improve
our defensive filtering mechanisms.  Someday soon we'll all have our own
personal software agents that will handle all this stuff for us.

Optimistic Dave

Thread