1996-09-16 - RE: Workers Paradise. /Political rant.

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bc696022e25e71c67ed4c5a9c0d3d5d0e405aaa917aae1688b0458f0e48eaa7b
Message ID: <ae62ca2b020210047319@[207.167.93.63]>
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:21:18 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:21:18 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Workers Paradise. /Political rant.

At 3:18 PM 9/16/96, jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca wrote:

>I don't think that a reasonable person would argue that medical insurance
>should
>be outlawed because everyone should take care of their own needs. A social
>safety net is simply a form of health and life insurance. Statistical arbitrage
>if you will. By spreading the risk you minimize the cost. Yes, some people will
>take advantage of the system. But like a virus, a robust system should be able
>to withstand this form of attack.

I have never argued against insurance! People who wish to buy insurance are
welcome to, obviously.

As to the "social safety net," things are far, far beyond a simple safety
net. When 14-year-old pregnant inner city girls are given money to set up
their own households (cf. Charles Murray's "Losing Ground"), this is not a
"safety net," this is subsidized breeding.

And so on.

--Tim May

Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.