1996-09-19 - Re: Spam blacklist project

Header Data

From: Alex Le Heux <alexlh@yourchoice.nl>
To: hallam@vesuvius.ai.mit.edu
Message Hash: bf17815099b608bcf15cd02e467e987bc80130140e76db7a242a0260f377427b
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960919000236.2090K-100000@sarah>
Reply To: <9609182121.AA13495@vesuvius.ai.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-19 03:04:45 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 11:04:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Alex Le Heux <alexlh@yourchoice.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 11:04:45 +0800
To: hallam@vesuvius.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Spam blacklist project

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996 hallam@vesuvius.ai.mit.edu wrote:

> Not impressed by their setup, there does not seem to be any checking
> to see if the mail address is correct (ie to checlk for a denial of
> service attack) and the setup requires distributors to submit their
> list for "washing". That type of setup may be OK for the bush league
> but its hardly cypherpunk type stuff. Its fairly easy to set up a scheme
> in which the blacklist can be distributed with no risk to the
> subscribers. Simply use a SHA digests and so on.

I didn't say it was their setup was the setup to end all spams :)

But I never really gave it much thought. It shouldn't be to complicated
to set some up like you describe though.

> I hadn't checked on Yahoo, I tend to use Alta-Vista having found
> Yahoo somewhat arbitary in category definition.

I usually check on Yahoo first. Alta-Vista always comes back with such an
enourmous amount of links.

> PS Sites that use red text on a white background ... ugh!!!

Ah well... Some people never learn :(

Cheers,

Alex

/// I dabble in techno-house and sometimes,
/// I do that badass hip-hop thang...
/// But the F U N K gets me every time!

Thread