1996-09-26 - Edited Edupage, 19 Sept 1996

Header Data

From: “E. Allen Smith” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cb4171afe18e7c73f6f379760a01d96d57a6c3b86012d919eeae9c9bfbc81229
Message ID: <01I9WCSFW5FY8Y53G5@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 10:34:19 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. Allen Smith" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 10:34:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Edited Edupage, 19 Sept 1996

From:	IN%"educom@educom.unc.edu" 20-SEP-1996 01:52:41.56

>Edupage, 19 September 1996.  Edupage, a summary of news about information
>technology, is provided three times a week as a service by Educom,
>a Washington, D.C.-based consortium of leading colleges and universities
>seeking to transform education through the use of information technology.

>LUCENT'S NET SOFTWARE MAKES INTERNET PHONE CALLS EASY
>New software developed by Lucent Technologies is designed to give Internet
>callers quicker access to one another and allows them to converse via their
>computers as if they were on a regular speaker-phone.  Previous software has
>been half-duplex -- one party must stop speaking before the other can
>"capture" the line.  Lucent plans to market the software to AT&T, the Bell
>companies and Internet service providers for distribution to their
>customers.  By the end of the year, Lucent plans to enhance the software so
>that users can videoconference over the Internet.  (Wall Street Journal 18
>Sep 96 B8)

I'd wonder if a patch can be built to encrypt each packet as it goes out? I'm
guessing that what they've done is improve the voice compression, so there will
be a relatively small amount of data to encrypt.

>PROGRAMMABLE COMPUTER CHIPS
>Next month, Metalithic Systems Inc. will release a $1500 sound board called
>Digital Wings that uses field-programmable gate array computer chips that
>can be personalized, allowing the user to create and edit up to 128
>soundtracks.  When used in combination with Windows 95, Digital Wings will
>give users access to audio synthesis and editing tools comparable to those
>of a professional sound studio.  (Business Week 23 Sep 96 p86)

	I wonder exactly how reprogrammable this system is...