1996-09-27 - Re: Hallam-Baker demands more repudiations or he’ll write!

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
To: Jean-Francois Avon <jf_avon@citenet.net>
Message Hash: e44b48bb2b01d0394b66c903b1e76458fe0dd0b66118b82041c49e77e77a09ff
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960926165048.8310C-100000@eff.org>
Reply To: <9609261727.AA03280@cti02.citenet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-27 05:56:54 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:56:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:56:54 +0800
To: Jean-Francois Avon <jf_avon@citenet.net>
Subject: Re: Hallam-Baker demands more repudiations or he'll write!

Anonymity and nonescrowed crypto are the linchpins of AP and its more
general case, Maysian crypto anarchy. The withering of the nation-state.
Whatever you want to call it.

To prevent it, governments will ban both. A criminal law, passed in the
wake of say a bombing this fall in Washington, DC, banning nonescrowed
crypto. (Freeh will assert he has evidence the terrorists used PGPhone.)
And another law banning online anonymity.

What then, Mr. Bell?

-Declan

// declan@eff.org // I do not represent the EFF // declan@well.com //

Thread